Knaus SUN Ti Tow Bar / Scooter Platform

Chucky

I have a Knaus SUN Ti and want to fit a tow bar and scooter rack onto the back, I've seen a very good tow bar by 'Armitages' www.armitagetrailers.com/motorhomes.htm, but want to understand:

Has anybody had this done ?

By whom ?

Would I require spring assistors fitted ?

Because of the low profile sides/back, would the bodywork require cutting ?

Anything else I haven't considered (apart from the obvious weight increase). ?

Any help and suggestions please ?

When you say "the obvious weight increase" are you allowing for the extra weight on rear axle due to the extra leverage? Most of that range have a large over hang and when loaded are proboly close to max weight on rear axle adding a towbar, rack and scooter will proboly add best part of 300kg to rear axle, if you haven't already done it get a weight check at a local weighbridge.

p.s. see 5th? post down http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-476726.html

Chucky:

You haven't said which model of Sun TI you own, but all of them (particularly the 650) have limited rear ground- clearance.

As colin warns, you'll need to beware of the load a rack+scooter would place on your motorhome's rear axle, but you'll also have watch out for its effect on ground clearance.

If you go ahead with your plan I think you'll definitely need something to counter the extra weight - either stronger rear springs, spring assisters, or 'air bags'. Otherwise you'll have the rear underside of your Knaus dragging on the ground.

Derek Uzzell - 2008-08-24 9:39 AM

Chucky:

You haven't said which model of Sun TI you own, but all of them (particularly the 650) have limited rear ground- clearance.

As colin warns, you'll need to beware of the load a rack+scooter would place on your motorhome's rear axle, but you'll also have watch out for its effect on ground clearance.

If you go ahead with your plan I think you'll definitely need something to counter the extra weight - either stronger rear springs, spring assisters, or 'air bags'. Otherwise you'll have the rear underside of your Knaus dragging on the ground.

You may have serious difficulty accomodating the extra weight without a chassis upgrade. When we had our 650MF we were right on the limit of 3500kg with just two of us travelling - although, invariably, we carried full tanks which added 100kg.

We also managed to 'ground' it getting off a small ferry in France as it is very low.

David

david lloyd - 2008-08-26 1:42 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2008-08-24 9:39 AM

Chucky:

You may have serious difficulty accomodating the extra weight without a chassis upgrade. When we had our 650MF we were right on the limit of 3500kg with just two of us travelling - although, invariably, we carried full tanks which added 100kg.

We also managed to 'ground' it getting off a small ferry in France as it is very low.

David

I have a Weinsberg equivalent to the Sun Ti 650MF - which I have upgraded to 3.9T but there is still very little margin on the rear axle on these Renaults ,and the lack of clearance does lead to grounding problems.

Fitting rear spring assistors is no doubt advisable but I would still think very very carefully before going ahead.

I wouldn't even consider carrying scooters on a rear mounted rack on a 650MF Sun Ti because even if you could get the weights to an acceptable limit, by having an increased MAM, the steering might be seriously affected by being too light.

Sorry to be so negative, but NOT a good idea, in my humble opinion.

Mike Hol.

I think you will be well over the weight limit if you go ahead. The Knaus Sun TI does have a long overhang and fitting the equipment you suggest will almost certainly overload the rear axle.

According to the technical specification for the Knaus 650MF, the Mass in running order is 2953kg which includes tools/spare wheel, 90% full diesel tank and an allowance of 75kg for the driver.

The allowance for Essential Habitation equipment is 168kg. This inclused 2 x 11kg full gas cylinders, full fresh water tank and full heater. UK weight calculations include Sun Ti packs, oven,carpets,electric mirrors/windows.

The user payload is 379kg. This covers passengers, food, clothes, other gear and any accessories you have fitted eg awning. Adding all this together soon reaches the max Technical Permissible Laden Mass.

Hope these figures are useful.

Archived