Lights; inside & outside

Brock

Have a Hymer 544 05 plate.

Has anyone changed the internal bulbs to LEDs and if so where did they source them. I gather I made need a different type of light for the spot lamps and roof lifts to ensure the light is not too bright and spreads sufficiently.

Headlights are a bit dim although they have been checked and are classed OK. Has anyone fitted more powerful bulbs? I know changing headlights on A-classes is time consuming and knuckle crunching.

Can I change to LEDs on the outside? Seems increasingly common on commercial vehicles for brake and indicator lights.

I'm always wary about tinkering with things I don't understand!

Sorry just checked that email address- should read leisureliteuk@aol.

They have a range of lights white and warm white including 300mm tubes.

I drive a Hymer 524 and the lights were very bright before I changed them saves battery power too.

Best of luck.

Brock:

The following links to earlier forum threads on LED interior lighting for motorhomes should be useful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12849&posts=5

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7211&posts=15

I'm assuming your B-544 has the usual headlamp arrangement comprising four little round Hella light-units, but I'm not aware which bulbs are used (I'm sure you'll know). Traditionally headlight output was increased by replacing original bulbs with higher wattage ones (eg. replacing a 60/55w H4 bulb with a 100/90w version), but this ploy in fact contravenes UK lighting regulations for road-going vehicles. However, it is permissible to replace original bulbs with ones that use the same wattage but produce greater light output by being technologically more advanced. Such bulbs are widely available (on-line and from high-street outlets) and are claimed to produce up to twice the output of the basic version. (As one might expect, the higher the bulb's output the higher its price!). The following website lists various alternatives

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk

and I suggest you opt for bulbs from a well-known manufacturer (eg. from Osram's Xenon Night Breaker range).

There's the potential risk that higher output bulbs will harm your Hymer's small headlamps, but I think the risk is minimal and well worth taking if it makes night driving safer for you. However, if you can, it would be worth checking the advertising literature (or the bulb packaging) to see if there are any small-print warnings about using the bulbs in small light-units.

As you say, LED bulbs are increasingly being fitted as original equipment on vehicles and, if you know what bulbs are used in your Hymer's exterior lights, you almost certainly should be able to find LED equivalents: the price could be a bit off-putting though. The following link provides examples...

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/led-bulbs-for-stop-and-tail-reverse-front-and-rear-indicators-c-613.html

Thanks for the advice.

Changed the headlights for Halford Brilliance bulbs which are much better. Chose these because they are easy to get hold of in an emergency if needed. Wife's car has the top of the range Halford bulbs but I didn't like the blue light. My son runs all weather bulbs (Bosch I think) on his Transit which seem fine.

I'll let you know how I get on. One thing I have decided is that fitting the bulbs in a Hymer A class is even worse than the Arto I used to have. It took a combination of me and my son's long arms and strong fingers. I'm never going to be able to change a bulb by the roadside in the dark. I did change all 4 lights.

As I get older, I suspect that I may revert to an ordinary cab. My son changes his Transit bulbs with ease.

At least I didn't have to remove a wheel like you have to do on a Renault Megane according to 5th Gear on TV.

When I'm rested and ready for the next challenge, I'll start on the LEDs inside.

Archived