Eurotunnel Aire

yagsas

Guest JudgeMental
yagsas - 2008-08-25 4:47 PM

Hi

Can anyone help is there still an Aire on Boulevard De L`Europe GPS N20.93765 E001.81686

Thanks

Not sure.... but you can stay overnight at "city de europe" it is next door to tunnel. They have a dedicted motorhome parking spot just follow the signs. Have not stayed there but checked it out a few weeks ago for future reference and it was busy but peaceful.....should be fine, we will use it next time.

this is it I think:

N 50 55.980

E 1 48.666

We stayed in Calais at Avenue Raymond POincare its no 35 on page 294 in the Aires book there is also a site we stayed just outside Calais it is no 13 in the Aires book on page 289 at Les Erables (Escalles) it is listed as an Aire but it is actually a site 12Eur a nite with electric.

Just in case you need a nearby alternative or people seeing the thread title are looking for help.

Those in the know will probably hate me for sharing this gem but here goes...

Camping les Erables in Escalles is a little gem of an overnight stop which is just 10-15 minutes from Cite Europe and the Tunnel, but very rural and peaceful. The access road off the D243 is narrow and is offically one-way because of MH and caravan access, problem is no one appears to have told the locals to comply and of course tractor drivers can't read (sorry Fred) so keep the speed right down! It's a bit tight but I manage OK in a 7 metre van.

The owners are delightful - very helpful and friendly although they don't speak much English. My basic French seems adequate enough and I noticed that they are happy to make do with sign-language from the seriously linguistically challenged of all nationalities.

Facilties are spotlessly clean and there is an MV service area available to non-residents for a small fee. Pitches are good-sized and although the site roads are steep most pitches are fairly level and drain well. The site is set in rolling chalk downland similar to West Sussex. Many pitches have spectacular sea views. English TV reception is often good with line of sight to England. If gales are forecast the site is very exposed and those of a nervous disposition (eg my wife) may wish to go elsewhere.

The village is a short walk towards the sea and the Restaurant on the corner of the square, (opposite the main hotel) is very good indeed with superb fish dishes. We usually see several MH's overnighting in the square with no apparent problems. There is a sandy beach about 1.5-2 miles away (steep access) and there appear to be lovely cliff walks but we have not had time to try them yet.

The nearest Boulangerie is a few miles away at Peuplingues but the bread and goodies are well worth the trip.

Camping Les Erables, 17 Rue Du Chateau, 62179, Escalles, tel 03 21 85 25 36. My last stay, in late Spring, cost just Euros 9.50 per night after CCI discount.

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2008-08-27 9:07 AM

Just in case you need a nearby alternative or people seeing the thread title are looking for help.

Those in the know will probably hate me for sharing this gem but here goes...

Camping les Erables in Escalles is a little gem of an overnight stop which is just 10-15 minutes from Cite Europe and the Tunnel, but very rural and peaceful. The access road off the D243 is narrow and is offically one-way because of MH and caravan access, problem is no one appears to have told the locals to comply and of course tractor drivers can't read (sorry Fred) so keep the speed right down! It's a bit tight but I manage OK in a 7 metre van.

The owners are delightful - very helpful and friendly although they don't speak much English. My basic French seems adequate enough and I noticed that they are happy to make do with sign-language from the seriously linguistically challenged of all nationalities.

Facilties are spotlessly clean and there is an MV service area available to non-residents for a small fee. Pitches are good-sized and although the site roads are steep most pitches are fairly level and drain well. The site is set in rolling chalk downland similar to West Sussex. Many pitches have spectacular sea views. English TV reception is often good with line of sight to England. If gales are forecast the site is very exposed and those of a nervous disposition (eg my wife) may wish to go elsewhere.

The village is a short walk towards the sea and the Restaurant on the corner of the square, (opposite the main hotel) is very good indeed with superb fish dishes. We usually see several MH's overnighting in the square with no apparent problems. There is a sandy beach about 1.5-2 miles away (steep access) and there appear to be lovely cliff walks but we have not had time to try them yet.

The nearest Boulangerie is a few miles away at Peuplingues but the bread and goodies are well worth the trip.

Camping Les Erables, 17 Rue Du Chateau, 62179, Escalles, tel 03 21 85 25 36. My last stay, in late Spring, cost just Euros 9.50 per night after CCI discount.

Bob

It is a good site and the owners are as you say Very friendly in fact he was only charging me for three night and we had stayed four AND he remebered my name when I went into the office! I wrote down 4x12 I had fifty Euros in my hand he took 40 and left me with 10! You dont come accross that very often. It has good walks and we even climbed up to the monument and had our picnic there.

In reply to the original question..

Yes it's still there adjacent to the filling station you pass when you exit eurotunnel.

Not easy to spot - there is a "Borne" next to the services - but this is often obscured by parked trucks using the shop/cafe/showers. Space for 2-3 motorhomes if not being used by the trucks.

Have always parked overnight in what was originally the eurotunnel overspill car park/waiting area right next to the service station. You can then use their toilets, buy a coffee etc.

Clive

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from City Europe two hours ago.

There is dedicated motorhome parking. Just follow the coach/bus signage and this leads to the MH area. No facilities that I am aware off but quiet and I believe that there is no objection to stopovers as there is shop trading 24/24.

All other car parks that I saw have height restrictions of about 2 metres.

Good luck

Sandy

Jack what we saw was a Motorhome Parking at Cite Europe there was quite a few vans parked when we went shopping there but I didnt see any facilities water, emptying Etc; if you go there just follow the signs for M.H. parking opposite the shopping Mall on the left.

We stayed on the front at Calais you just follow signs for Calais centre and then the camping site signs, you go past the site and the M.H. Aire is looking over the Chanel you can watch the ferries coming in. But I wouldnt stay on the one on the left my daughter stayed there and there was illegalls mooching round the vans during the night.

I was early for the train yesterday and parked on the Europa city car park for a while killing time i might have stayed overnight as the area only had two lorries parked and there was plenty of room..

But i was approached by one scruffy individual asking firstly for a lift to paris or that`s what i could make out from his language (East European) He went off in the direction i pointed him in.

Later he returned and begged for money and food he had another three again scruffy males with him they didnt approach but i was getting slightly out numbered. I didnt feel threatened by him but i was certainly not being stupid either.

It is obviously not a safe to park overnight in that area close to the Tunnel so i moved on and parked on the ferry overnight car park. again i was approached by another East European who had a dog in tow wanted us to have the dog as he couldnt take it into UK because of quaranteen regs, he said he had the papers for the dog and a i saw him with a dog carrying cage when i refused he went on his way ,I didnt see him again.

The car park was pretty full and a lot safer at night.

The Calais dunes area is another area not to park. I will probably go on a campsite next time and get up early for the train.

Just be careful where you park.

I did also check the price of a one way ticket with sea france to get out of the place they wanted £312 so i stayed.

Guest JudgeMental
I think people are getting confused with the lorry park, next to petrol station as you leaeve the tunnel and the dedicated motorhome car park at the rear of City de Europe complex... its easy to find, just follow signs for shopping centre, then coach parking and you will see motorhome parking next door.

Guest JudgeMental
Jack - 2008-09-23 8:57 PM

Thanks for the comments and the clarification from Judge Metal. Mandy&Andy it would be brilliant if you could manage the picture, unfortunately not much time as we are leaving tomorrow morning!

Thanks.

Jack

Its really easy, less then 5 minutes from tunnel...just follow the signs and keep you eyes open.

The pictures confirm i was on that car park and NO i wouldnt stay overnight on it. Its to isolated.

The ferry car park is much safer well patrolled by local police.

As an ex policeman (31yrs) i know when its safe or down right stupid to put yourself at risk.

The people wandering around these car parks are desperate hungry penny less and they want to enter the UK by any means and you could be just a meal ticket.

Be safe .

We stayed on the motorhome car park at Cite Europe on the evening of 6 September (Saturday) and didn't have any problems at all, we didn't see any 'undesirables' of any kind wandering around. There were several of us there and we felt quite happy to stay there. We have also used the ferry terminal visitor car park quite extensively as well and also were happy to stay there but it was a bit noisy at times, and at this in June this year we were approached by someone wanting to sell us his bike so he could buy a ticket to the UK with the proceeds.

Archived