Ducato / Boxer Cabs?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

I have not scoured the market, but a disturbing trend in the 'design' of the new Ducato / Boxer based coachbuilts that I have seen appears to be the fitting of that dreadful and useless head banger shelf above the cab seats and replacement of the invaluable overcab storage locker (that is so convenient for bedding when no fixed bed is present) by a big open empty space and a large skylight?

So where is one supposed to store the bedding now, and how easily accessible is it and, more to the point, when the bedding is stored where it now has to go, where do you store the rest of the gear that used to be where the bedding is now stored!

Another triumph of design form over function maybe?

Another reason not to buy a Fiat / Peugeot for sure?

don't have a problem with fiat cab our van as no parcel shelf .this is the best van i have ever driven and i have driven them all.tracker have you ever driven one . find i can drive this van 250 to 300 miles none stop ,get out of cab no back problems ,its very comfy and it will cruise on motorway all day up and down hills 80mph plus.yes i do  brake the speed limit bad boy me

Guest Tracker
dshague - 2008-08-25 7:27 PM

don't have a problem with fiat cab our van as no parcel shelf .this is the best van i have ever driven and i have driven them all.tracker have you ever driven one . find i can drive this van 250 to 300 miles none stop ,get out of cab no back problems ,its very comfy and it will cruise on motorway all day up and down hills 80mph plus.yes i do brake the speed limit bad boy me

I can comfortably do all of these things in my older Ducato too!

Plus I don't bang my head getting in and out of the cab, I can store my bedding in the overcab locker, it don't leak water onto the engine and it goes uphill backwards!

That said, I do wish it were quieter, had a softer ride and cab air con!

As I understand it, the 'head bruising' storage-shelf comes from the Fiat parts-bin but it's completely up to the motorcaravan converter whether or not the shelf is fitted to the Boxer/Ducato/Relay chassis on which the motorhome is to be constructed.

There does appear to be a trend to slope back the overcab-moulding ever more steeply on low-profile designs, which naturally restricts potential overcab storage space, but I can't see how Fiat can in any way be held to blame for that, nor why the company should be criticised for offering an optional useful storage shelf. Besides which there are plenty of current-model SEVEL-based low-profile designs that continue to have adequate overcab storage in high-level lockers.

I've one of these new fangled low-profile jobs that came without overcab storage. A big piece of wood now just sits on top of the cab where a bed would have gone, and the kitchen sink would now fit.

I suspect these are deliberately omitted to stop people sleeping on what is only safe as a storage shelf.

:-D

Archived