Back from Italy/new side window/breakin warning

kevandali

Hi All

Just wanted to say that we got back from Italy about a week ago, thanks to all the info gained on here we had a wonderful time.

One down side was the fact that we got broken into on the last afternoon before we headed back towards Switzerland on our return journey. (Place called marina de pisa)

We had spent most of the holiday on campsites, Aires and aree de sota's (think that's spelt correctly??) but the first time we parked up on a street and left the van for a beach visit, we were broken into.

We left the van with all the blinds down which must have helped the swines to remain hidden once they were in.

I was suprised how easy it all was for them, they simply pulled the drivers side back window open in the rear lounge, breaking all the clips and cracking the window in the process.

Our access is £200 so we are thinking of claiming off of our travel insurance if possible and buying a new window.

We went to a local police station thanks to the help of a local guy who was passing when we discovered the damage/break in. It was Sunday afternoon and the policeman wasn't any help at all but he did say that we were just one of several that had been reported.

My wife was really upset and just wanted to get out of there, I must say that no matter what precautions you take, these things can still happen.

It hasn't put us off going to Italy but we will be getting an alarm and safe fitted before our next jaunt.

Anyone know the best place to get a new side window? Brownhills??

Cheers

Kevandali

Guest JudgeMental

Try Swift directly? they are very active over on MHF forum...you can post 5 times without joining. or some wher like O'learys who have agood reputation for spares.

Sorry to hear this, but its always a worry leaving a van anywhere unatended. Best leaving van on site and getting to beach by other means. Surprised you have no alarm though....

I have aready metioned this but again, meet 2 (seperate) english familys in Italy this summer who were robbed while sleeping overnight at motorway rest area just south of St Gotthard tunnel. I personally never stop on motorways but some obviously are still not aware of dangers.

Archived