Which tyres

tezza

It looks like this subject is about covered, but for what it is worth we have been using Hankook tyres for 8 years now as replacements on our Fiat and Iveco van fleet. The latest Ducato Maxi vans have been arriving with Continental 10 ply tyres and while they give a comfortable ride and are very grippy in all conditions, they don't last very long. The 10 ply Hankook RA08 lasts longer, rides and grips just as well and costs much less.

I can happily recommend the RA08 8 ply tyres for any older Fiat van too.

Michelin tyres are almost always good, and the extra tread depth that you get goes some way towards justifying the additional cost... but when you pick up a puncture that cannot be repaired...

Nick.

Nick,

You said in relation to Michelin tyres " but when you pick up a puncture that cannot be repaired... "

Where are you getting this information, as I had one repaired in Germany a couple months ago. Are you saying a repair should not have been carried out?

Jon.

...and yet a 3rd post from me i a row.

What does not seem to be covered is Motorjomes that sit around a lot and not 'excercising' tyres. This is bad news for tyres after they have been 'run in'. and aging is over a few years. The camping tyres have a formulation of rubber designed to combat prematire aging of tyres and extend their life in respect of aging. If you do low mileage and tyres will still on the Motorhome in 5 years time, would they be safer than a lower cost brand, which on a fleet is only going to be used over say a couple of years or even less.

Jon.

That is indeed a good point.

I think it depends to what extent you believe the claims by the manufacturers regarding anti-aging formulations. We have serviced many camper vans in recent months that have been suffering from cracked side walls and separation of the tread even with Michelin camper tyres on vehicles three and four years old.

The Continental 10 ply tyres that we get on our x250 vans are identical to those I have seen supplied on camper base vehicles and I have neither heard nor read any claims regarding longevity.

Nick

Archived