Gel Batteries v's Wet Lead Acid

starvin marvin

I have 2 x 85 amphr gel leisure batteries and wish (within financial constraints) to increase my time away from hookup facilities. I remember Clive's general advice was along the lines of before purchasing say a solar panel it is best first to increase if possible your battery capacity. It is here that I need some advice please?

My first thoughts are to change from Gel to Wet batteries and from 85 a/hr to 110 a/hr, and also have fitted a battery master. The longest I was able to go without hookup last winter in Spain/Portugal was 12days, but then we don't use the TV.

I've this morning spoken to a battery supplier I've used several times over the years and notwithstanding the physical size of battery casings fitting into the front seat bases (Fiat Ducato 03 vintage) The advice to change from Gel to Wet batteries may be compromised by the in-vehicle charger being configured for gel rather than wet. Is this usually a problem?

The budget cost of a Wet 110 a/hr battery is £75 each v's approx £200 for a similar size Gel battery.

Any helpful advice is welcomed.

I'm of course trying to get hold of someone at the converter who maybe able to help on the charger issue.

Many thanks

Simple things first, you're going to need a vent for the gases and something to catch any spillage, then the room to carryout the changeover. Make sure you've got the clearance around all the battery connections, you do not want to short these out.

Maybe all you need is a bigger solar panel rather than a new battery setup.

There are technical matters that relate to the battery charger and if it can be changed to suit Wet batteries, these are better answered by the more technical contributors.

Clive, if not away, will doubtless give you chapter and verse, but my reaction is as follows:

1. Changing from 85 to 110 will not do a lot. Allowing for the fact that you never get a full charge, the two together will only give you about 35 to 40 extra amp hours which seems a lot for the cost.

2. Given the age of your 'van (03), it would be very surprising if the charger did not have a switch to change between gel and wet batteries.

3. I'm not clear what the battery master adds if you've already got a split charger?

4. Much the easiest (and cheapest) way would be to add an identical 85 amp hour battery if you can get one close to the two you already have.

5. A solar panel at around £500 upwards is an expensive addition that is unlikely - except in a Spanish summer - to give you as much as a third battery.

Mel E

====

Thanks Mel,

As you understand the object of the exercise is to increase my capacity to be free of hookups for as long as possible, but also and probably as important to be confident to be able to do so.

I don't have a solar panel and as you say this is unlikely to help too much unless optimum conditions prevail. We camp mainly during the winter in Spain and Portugal (3 months last winter hoping for 5 months this winter!)I can recall Clive's advice was prior to purchasing say a solar panel is to first increase your battery capacity.

It seems that a change from Gel to Wet acid requires at the very least a switch to be thrown on the charger. I understand the issue of venting wet batteries. That was a feature of my previous van.

Fitting a battery master arises because I'm pretty sure that my leisure batteries are only charged on hookup not from the alternator when the vehicle is being driven. The owners manual is not particularly clear on this point, but I do have some time today and will chase up the converters on these issues.

If I could be sure of topped up leisure batteries after a reasonable drive then I would currently probably stick with my existing 85 a/hrs as £400 to change to something nearer to 110 a/hr can still buy a lot of diesel. I just don't have the space for a third battery unless I change my gas cylinders for a bulk tank and gain a vented locker.

Again Many Thanks

Archived