Help needed for Trav-L-Cool Aircon

Guest tony

Can anybody help with operating the Trav-L-Cool aircon (model E100)fitted on my german imported 1990 Hymer B564. It also has a 'Reservoir Water System' ? This has a large water container comnnected to a pump. Do I fill up completely with water ? and if so, how do I prime the pump?

Guest Derek Uzzell
I can't see why you shouldn't fill the water container completely (Trav-L-Cool is an evaporative system so no 'overflowing' should occur) and I would have thought the pump should auto-prime like the pump on a car's windscreen-washer bottle. Travel-L-Cool is made by Alden (www.alden.fr) so you might try contacting that company for an instruction leaflet. Alternatively, try contacting Murvi (www.murvi.co.uk) for advice as they offered Trav-L-Cool as an option on their motorhomes.

Tony/Derek As an evaporative system, employing a water reservoir, it's not technically air conditioning, it's air cooling. True air conditioning systems employ a refigeration plant, as used in your home fridge/freezer, to "force chill" the air. Air cooling systems, which you can also buy for homes, use air blown over replenishable water to provide a small cooling effect. I've got to go and wash my anorack now... Regards Neal

Guest Derek Uzzell
Tony: I subsequently remembered that Caravan Accessories (CAK)Ltd used to market Trav-L-Cool units. The company advertises monthly in MMM (page 267 of Feb '05 issue) and usually has a stand at the NEC show. If you speak nicely to them, they may be prepared to send you a copy of the operating instructions for your air cooler (I expect current units are much the same as yours) or offer advice. Neal: I see you attended the same school of pickiness as me! In fact, CAK advertise these Trav-L-Cool devices as "lightweight air conditioners" and, linguistically, I suppose that's correct. Technically though I agree with your definition and was aware of the difference - I just managed to keep quiet for once.

A mate has one of these on a Hymer, I guess an earlier model. Because it causes cooling by evaporation of water in the gubbins on the roof its necessary to take this apart from time to time and clean it all out, including all the pipework. Look inside your kettle and you will know what to expect in the evaporator! Essentially these systems are quite simple and do provide a reduction of air temperature - along with an increase in humidity. Consequently they don,t work too well when its both hot and humid outside. One of my "projects" is to make one but its well down the job list at the moment.

Hi everybody, Just returned from a break and received your replies. Thanks a million for all your informative advice, much appreciated. Will now don my fur coat and try out the Air Con unit !!

• 12 years later...
Just beensearching for info on these units (as I've got one which has decided to leak), and this old thread came up! Does anyone know if you can still get a manual for the Trav-L-Cool, or even a decently clear exploded diagram? I'm planning to dismantle it myself from the inside initially, to see if something like a pipe has come adrift.

I had one of these on our last motorhome, which was also a 1990 model.  I bought the MH second hand and had to dismantle the cooler and clean it out in order to get it going.  The water is simply pumped up to roof level into a matrix of some sort so it can evaporate in the path of the air which is being blown through or past it, thereby cooling it.  From what I can remember it wasn't difficult to clean and the pump (which is down at water reservoir level) does self prime.

Unfortunately I cannot remember this cooler being at all effective and although I got it going, it didn't work all that well as a cooler and I don't think we bothered using it after the initial trials.  I wouldn't spend much money trying to get it going!

Thanks guys. That diagram is clearer that other copies I've seen, I'm sure it'll help. I'm not planning on spending money on it - the operating principle reminds me of the old "Osokool" coolboxes, which were never impressive! If I can't sort it myself, I'll replace it with a skylight and save myself some useful payload!

Archived