Speed limits Spain

parkmoy

I should know.....I live here......but I don't.

BUT, there was a whole lot of new regs and changes for /fines/penaties isuued early June.........I would think on one of the Services lists like the AA.

I will check......problem is when you live here you tend to go-with-the-flow........head down and survival of the biggest *-)

We also live in Spain but are not sure of the new limits. It was 90 kph but we think it has been lowered by 10%, due to the fuel problems. The trouble is we have not been home all summer. Hope we don't find out the hard way.

Better to check before you leave as if you are found speeding you will get a large on the spot fine.

Have fun Sooty10.

sooty10 - 2008-08-28 10:04 AM

We also live in Spain but are not sure of the new limits. It was 90 kph but we think it has been lowered by 10%, due to the fuel problems. The trouble is we have not been home all summer. Hope we don't find out the hard way.

It was 90kph, because by mistake they classified Motorhomes as lorries!! After lobbying from MH pressure groups, they increased it 100kph.

The new limits haven't come into effect yet and will only be for motorways/dual carrieageways, close to cities.

Thanks everyone. What I take from the foregoing is this:-

Autopistas & Autovias 100 km/hr

Open roads with hard shoulder 1.5m or more 90 km/hr

Roads in urban areas 80 km/hr

The new 'green' limits have not yet been implemented.

Anyone disagree?

Parkmoy - agreed - that is exactly my understanding of the current rules here in Spain, for MH's below 3500kgs.

HOWEVER (there's always a however).....do keep your eye on the roadside speed limit sign-posts, as the limits you've quoted are (just like in the UK) the maximums UNLESS a lower limit is indicated by the signage along that particular stretch of road.

Until very recently, Traffico (the national traffic Police here) had virtually no mbile radar-type speed cameras; and there are VERY few fixed type speed cameras anywhere in Spain.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), that is rapidly changing.

Just in the Valencian region, the Government recently bought them several new mobile ones, and they are now enjoying playing with them on stretches of "A" roads around here.

I got caught by one speeding on my motorbike about three weeks ago (91kph on a bit of road where the limit sign dropped to 60kph only about 10 metres before where their camera was set up behind a bush)....cost me a fine of €140, but reduced to €98 for paying within 4 weeks.

If you've a UK licence, you don't get points on it for speeding in Spain, but the fine does hurt a bit!

Archived