Camp site/aire in South of France

PJay

Does anyone know of any sites close to Monaco, Menton area? Planning to be there last two weeks September. There do not appear to be any really close in my books. Would like easy acces to this area. Dont ride a bike, so a bus stop near by would be OK.Suggestions welcome

Hi there, Just found this:

Quote: Juliette Jowit The Observer, Sunday June 17 2007

Monaco style ... superyachts and supercars at the most glamorous Grand Prix of all. Photograph: Clive Mason/Getty Images

We stumbled on one of the world's best campsites by accident. A few years ago we were on a cycling holiday in the south of France, and followed a road inland from the coast for what looked like a couple of millimetres on the map. In fact it was two hours of slow pedalling uphill on our laden bikes. That was a lesson in reading contour lines. But, wow, was it worth it.

At the top was Camping Les Romarins, where we pitched the tent, showered, sank a cold beer and looked down with awe at a spectacular view of the Cote d'Azur, stretching from Monaco in the east to Nice in the west, lights from distant yachts swaying on moorings, grand villas of Cap Ferrat lit up like showgirls, and beyond it all the luminescent Mediterranean. The following morning we unzipped the tent door and were wowed again by the plummeting dry pines, grand villas, even a mock castle, and curving azure sea. That's when we hatched the plan.

By coming here, we could put all our favourite things together: the warmth, the view, wonderful cycling roads, the fantastic campsite, the villages perchés, the salty fish soup and gooey almond croissants - and motor racing. For just a short cycle down the hill from the peaceful campsite were the streets of Monaco, where the billionaires and rock stars, playboys and supermodels flock for the most glamorous Grand Prix of them all.

On race weekend, usually late May, prices in hotels in town soar to insane levels, but our holiday would take us from monastically quiet cobbled streets, via soaring cycle rides, to the high-octane, high-rolling glamour that is the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix - all for £300 each.

We arrived at the still blissfully empty campsite a week before race day, when we had the choice of almost any pitch, pretty well all of which have uninterrupted views of the sea because of the terraced design. The week went on and the site filled up as cars, vans and motorbikes arrived with groups of friends, couples, even a few families. Even full the site never felt crowded or rowdy; it buzzed with anticipation and a babble of European languages, but was always faultlessly clean and easy-going.

Each morning we ambled off on a different adventure: cycling, walking or trundling about in the car (my husband had driven down in his old three-speed Renault 4 - he got lots of friendly waves, but it took more than two days at no more than 50mph). Medieval Eze is the nearest and most touristy village perché, clinging to a rock below the campsite, but it's still a treat to explore twisting cobbled streets designed to deter invaders and now luring visitors in. Further along the Grande Corniche is La Turbie, a vibrant 'living' town with the best almond croissants we have yet discovered in France. End of quote.

(this is me again now) ..... I don't know if you have been to Monaco before but everything is ridiculously expensive. If you only want to go for a couple of days, it might be worth thinking of camping somewhere like Port Grimaud where they have day trips to Monaco and working around that. Sorry can't be more helpful.

thanks Roon,

I realise Monaco will be expensive, but just want to look!! We stayed in Port Grimauld last year at the time of the monaco GP. We saw all the super yachts in St Tropez ( and drawled, being ex sailors) May try your site recomendation PJay

Camping Le Todos, in Cagnes sur mer if you are in a motorhome and going from the seafront into Cagnes sur mer watch out for the LOW bridge.

The road from Cagnes sur mer to Nice is along the coast and from Nice to Monoco, again along the coast, has some absolutely stunning views.

I guarantee you will want to stop and view. This road brings you straight into Monoco harbour

Enjoy

CAMPING

LE TODOS

Cagnes sur Mer

(Alpes-Maritimes)

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

Open

01/04-30/09

Phone

+33-493312005

Fax

33-(0)493143655

Situation

06800 Cagnes sur Mer

Distances

Nice: 8 km

Cannes: 15 km

Côte d'Azur: 0 km

Railway station: 4,5 km in Cagnes sur Mer

Airport: 8 km in Nice

Parc Vaugrenier: 10 km

Marineland: 12 km

About 3 years ago we stayed here http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/camping_la_vieille_ferme.htm as we wanted to attend the Grand Prix. Its about a 10 minute walk from the railway station at Biot where you can get on the coastal train for all stations to Italy. The beach is the other side of the railway line but you need to walk to the station to get under the line but its a fairly low bridge and I suspect not suitable for a motorhome.

David

hI, Camping municipal Menton, high above the town a few pitches with fantastic veiws, been a while since we were there the toilet block was usable but realey neaded blowing up so unless they have been replaced you may have to use your own shower, bit of a walk into town were you can catch the bus into Monaco, Menton is nice, Monaco is an experence and if you have never been go and see it , i thought it was fantastic but i would not be rushing back there , September is a good time to go, Malcolm

mac111051 - 2008-08-29 6:19 PM

hI, Camping municipal Menton, high above the town a few pitches with fantastic veiws, been a while since we were there the toilet block was usable but realey neaded blowing up so unless they have been replaced you may have to use your own shower, bit of a walk into town were you can catch the bus into Monaco, Menton is nice, Monaco is an experence and if you have never been go and see it , i thought it was fantastic but i would not be rushing back there , September is a good time to go, Malcolm

Like Malcom, I have used this site and can recommend it as a basic site, though it is some time since my last visit. There is a bus stop near the gate for buses to/rom the town centre. Menton is worth a visit.

Archived