Don't Talk To Me About Shows

starvin marvin

Don't talk to me about shows,

I went to Malvern in good faith and got wet through, not for the first time at a show but definately the last! The exhibitors I wanted to see weren't there. Then I lost my umbrella. Then my wife lost her keys. Then bought some stuff, as you do and then went next door to see the same stuff £3 cheaper!! Tried to join my owners club but the secretary wasn't at the show! Went to the evening entertainment which I found pretty grim nearly choked on my beer at the price!

Then nearly choked again at some lunatic dressed as Davy Crockett, I stopped doing that when I was 8. What is it with these folks dressing up and singing along to Elvis at the end?

I got the feeling that the band was taking the mickey closing the entertainment with a Cotton Club classic from what was an original black band that had to play to exclusive white audiences. While a lot of people sat at Malvern singing along had confederate flags!!! Makes you think.

So don't talk to me about shows.

The best bits for me was meeting Don Madge, he really is like his photo! and Dave Newell.

Is it too late to ask for my money back?

I must agree, I really do find it difficult to understand why people pay money to go and look at shops selling them things, in the real world could you imagine paying to look at the shops in your local high street or to look at cars on a car lot ?? how do the organisers get away with it, its not just the motorhome shows its the same at

The Ideal Home

Most County Shows

Boat Jumbles

Some Boot Sales

the list goes on and on

Why do we keep paying to view it should be free, I'm not to sure that the camping shouldn't be free also, a lot of the major out-of-town shopping centres have free car parking ??

that's my rant over

i started a thread about the york show last year, saying everything cost more than you could get it online...............and generally thought it was rubbish

Got shot down for having an opinion..............nice to see some like minded people (lol)

handyman - 2008-08-29 9:17 AM

i started a thread about the york show last year, saying everything cost more than you could get it online...............and generally thought it was rubbish

Got shot down for having an opinion..............nice to see some like minded people (lol)

(lol) I agree. I buy all of my things from the Internet. I have only ever attended 2 shows for the day. Both at York to buy certain items (before I knew better) or to meet up with friends.

I attended Malvern as a Marshall for another Forum Meet. I must admit I really DID enjoy the Show and the Entertainment. Most anyway.

Why do people dress up? Same as:-

Why people Dance?

Why do people have hobbies?

Each to their own I say.

BTW. Nice to meet and shake hands with Dave Newell. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

UK shows are abysmal and van prices ridiculous

if we want to see what new vans are available we go to the Dusseldorf caravan saloon.... I believe its the biggest show in Europe. You will be spoilt for choice, as all the European manufacturers have massive displays including Swift this year!

Not strong on accessories but as others suggest probably cheaper online anyway.

We would have been there this weekend but wife has work commitments fri/mon *-)

I think shows are ideal for seeing a very wide range of vans, if you are thinking of buying, and a much bigger range of accessories than you would find at your local camping 'shop'.

But I can never understand why people stay there for two or three days, I've had enough after 3 or 4 hours.

Just shows what a 'range' of people go to these shows - each to his own as we so often say.

:-| :-|

We treat shows as a weekend away and enjoy them. They give a change of scenery, a chance to view lots of 'vans and accessories in one place, four nights camping and include (usually) good entertainment - all for about £30.

We often bump into old friends there and make new ones.

If, as at the recent Western Show people want to dress as 'Americans/Canadians' then it provides another dimension to the weekend and in any case - live and let live.

My gripe would be as mentioned by starvin - the price of drinks. £3.20 for beer, £3.50 for lager and £4.0 for a glass of plonk. But then again we do not have to buy it.

Cattwg :-D

Hi, I don't have any problems with the shows or the entertainment or the camping, or the way people enjoy themselves or the meeting of friends old or new.

Its just the charging for entry to view a marketplace, and as I said before could you imaging paying to go into a market or a shopping centre or a car/motorhome dealers to view whats on sale ??

u all got fred thinkin - careful now my biddies. the shops are all free in st austell and theres sum different one too (not all woolies and mns). but 3 nites b and b plus 3 days parkin, plus 3 nites entertainment (pub giggy, cinema, theatre) all cums to a lot more than gettin to and stayin at the malvern show for the weekend. sum of them costumes ad to be seen to be beleived, there was a good atmosfere all round, met sum very nice people (altho reserve judgement on that chap neweell as us coodnt find im). stip moanin all u killjoys, me an alice is goin to enjoy our motorhomin and use it to the full. an you cant buy all those luvvly gismos from the high street. so bedger off us and goan buy all your cheap stuff orf the internet. an while your waiting for the parcel man to arrive, cum an moan some more on the forum. GO out and enjoy yerselves else youll be orderin yer coffin off the internet next me ansums.

ritesedfred (an alice)

The point to me of the shows are the locations, how else can you get 5 nights in places like York/Pickering Malvern, Stratford on Avon for £40 plus some entertainment a bit of retail therapy if you feel like it (take it or leave it) and also meet a lot of like minded people, with similar interests you can pick more information up talking to people at shows about travel home or abroad in no time at all. We have not been to Pickering for at least 8 years so Thur/Tues for £40 sounds like a bargain to me. Carol.

sshortcircuit - 2008-08-29 8:50 PM

Stalward

I gave up trying to decipher Freds postings some time ago. It would take me the same time to decipher it as it takes him to invent it and I am not wasting that time.

Its a shame because Im sure there is a message in some of his posts

Same here, wonder if this is the standard of education all over Cornwall?

no need to be rude dethleff, i think fred was simply askin starring marvin to chill out my luvvers.

were clillin out and off to france for about 3 weeks dependin on weather.

thats if i can rise fred from kip in time to catch the 7.45 boat tomorrow mornin.

see e drectly

alice

Hymer C 9. - 2008-08-29 9:40 PM

The point to me of the shows are the locations, how else can you get 5 nights in places like York/Pickering Malvern, Stratford on Avon for £40 plus some entertainment a bit of retail therapy if you feel like it (take it or leave it) and also meet a lot of like minded people, with similar interests you can pick more information up talking to people at shows about travel home or abroad in no time at all. Carol.

Absolutely right, Carol - and you meet such nice people, don't you? ;-)

There seem to be no 'beer police' in the entertainment halls, so I take my own in, as do many others. In fact, whole picnics were laid out on some tables!

The entertainment makes the weekend in my opinion and some of the costumes are brilliant. Everyone smiles and it helps take your mind off the rain and mud, doesn't it (lol)

I dont think it was ALL expensive, we did pick up some bargains! But you do have to know your prices! For example there was a nice two stage step on the stalls, they all seemed around the £39 mark. The same brand and type of step is in halfords at half that....and we all know halfords aren't cheap!

Nevertheless, we did get some bargains and looked around some vans (we hire motorhomes) so it was a good weekend. The entertainment may not have been to everyones' taste, but the theme was western so you can't get too picky - and at least enough people put in the effort! Like it or hate it, you have to give them their dues for that!

We got what we wanted out of it, except a tv aerial lead! lol! It was a nice weekend away! As for beer and food on site, that is all run buy a large company who do all the shows, and yes it does cost a bomb! Take your own, or spoil yourself!

As for fred, i think i have been in cornwall for far too long as i seem to be able to understand him! :D

Someone asks #why do people dress up?' Well, why do we do anything if it comes to that! Why do people collect train numbers; collect teddy bears, sports cars etc; why do people climb a mountain; and more importantly why do people hit little balls with a stick to get them in a hole and then when they do, take them out again!!! Country and westerners/line dancers (two different categories) raise more money for charity than all other groups (I read somewhere), and as long as people are happy and not harming others then good luck to everybody.

It beats a pastime of mugging old ladies or being in street brawls.

I went to the show to meet the people on this site ... and they were all lovely people, kind and helpful to me as a newbie. Entertainment might have been rubbish but the good times far surpassed the bad.

ROON - 2008-08-31 3:50 PM

..........Why do people collect train numbers; collect teddy bears, sports cars etc; why do people climb a mountain; and more importantly why do people hit little balls with a stick to get them in a hole and then when they do, take them out again.........

Ah, yes - some of the great unanswerable questions of the universe. Like,

'where does all the litter go when it's windy?'

and,

'why is phonetic spelt with a ph...?'

Just joking everyone, but, seriously, sometimes people enjoy different things and it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't do them is wrong any more than it means those who do are right - just that we all like different things!

Personally, we have attended shows like York or Lincoln because they are great places to visit as well as going to the show. Sometmes we go because we are interested in the show itself and sometimes, if we are not in the mood, we don't go to the shows.

David

love the shows, go to most of them, instead of travelling to the dealers we see alot of vans, new ideas and gadgets in one place, as for the country and western theme its better than sitting at home moaning

phil

We enjoyed most of the weekend as we had arranged to meet up with some friends, also bumped into a few other friends to catch up. Got a awning after a lot of haggling for less than I had found on the web. Found the vans overpriced though. We went looking at a few vans that we liked the layout of, the prices of some were deared at the show than they were on the dealers website? I can't understand why they are still managing to sell many vans.

Guest Tracker
kontiki - 2008-09-01 12:26 AM

We went looking at a few vans that we liked the layout of, the prices of some were dearer at the show than they were on the dealers website? I can't understand why they are still managing to sell many vans.

It's because with bumped up prices the dealers can offer a higher p/x allowance or a bigger cash discount thus giving the illusion that they are jolly good fellows to deal with.

It is a well known fact that ALL dealers price ALL their vans way above the Glass's guide retail values because, as they will tell you, it is only a guide - unless they are buying your van in which case the trade price is almost biblical in it's stature.

Forgive my cynicism - only achieved after a lifetime's experience - and growing daily!

Archived