12 volt microwave oven

Syd

GypsyTom - 2008-08-30 11:03 AM

Yes, I can help. You go to a site called Google and type in '12v Microwave oven'. You then get a list of several suppliers including the above-mentioned Maplins.

Simple as that and I hope that this helps.

Hells Bells, Why didn't I do that.Senior moment I fearThanks everyone

Randonneur - 2008-08-30 12:22 PM To be perfectly honest Syd, I wouldn't bother. Buy a large inverter and a cheap microwave you can then use the inverter for other things. The cost of both should be a lot less than going for a 12 volt microwave.

I don't think that that is the case I'm afraid. Inexpensive inverters are modified sine wave and the electronics on microwaves (timer etc.) do not work properly and a pure sine wave inverter is very expensive. One alternative is to source a microwave with a mechanical timer but even then you're not guaranteed that it will work, although of course, many do. And of course an inexpensive microwave may still be bulky.

There may be some sense in the cheap, portable 12v one because you are, as you say, travelling when you use it, so your battery will be recharging constantly and the highish drain shouldn't present a problem.

I also asked this question on the general chat section so I paste my reply to them on here now

Thanks for the help,

I just want to heat some food while traveling down to Spain.

I normally do the trip without any stops other that 30 winks now and again

If I can pick one up quickly, as I leave next Friday morning, that is what Ill do otherwise Ill just do without

Randonneur - 2008-08-30 3:06 PM

Syd, this might be just what you are looking for and the price seems right. Its called a Wavebox.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/index.php?target=products&product_id=30784&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=ProductSearch

Hi Randonneur

Thanks a lot for that link it seems to be a very good shop, will have a chat to them on Monday

Hi

I think you will find on further investigation that the internal dimensions of the microwave is that of the small insulated picnic packs, about 8 x 5 x 5 inches. This is meant to contain the food (keeping it cool) until the time it is taken out to be reheated.

Great for folks who work on building sites.

Joyce

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=12+volt+ovens&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Try the above link for google shopping - 12volt pizza and grill type ovens can be seem - may be a much better option than a £400 microwave.

If link does not work - use google, select the shopping tab and enter 12 volt ovens.

Jon.

Brambles - 2008-08-30 10:23 PM

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=12+volt+ovens&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Try the above link for google shopping - 12volt pizza and grill type ovens can be seem - may be a much better option than a £400 microwave.

If link does not work - use google, select the shopping tab and enter 12 volt ovens.

Jon.

Hi Brambles

Many thanks, looks good.

Was something similar on the link that Randonneur gave me and I was intending to talk to the people on monday.

Thanks everyone much apreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone quote the power OUTPUT of their 12V microwave and the amps used at full power?

I cannot imagine the effect of plugging in a 12V microwave to a normal 12v socket.

How do you power your 12V microwave - is it directly connected to the battery via heavy duty leads??

djchapple - 2008-09-11 8:16 PM

Can someone quote the power OUTPUT of their 12V microwave and the amps used at full power?

I cannot imagine the effect of plugging in a 12V microwave to a normal 12v socket.

How do you power your 12V microwave - is it directly connected to the battery via heavy duty leads??

The model quoted above has input about 1000watts, from top of my head that will be a 12v cable of about 12mm.sq. c.s.a. which is almost a 'light' duty main battery cable

Archived