External windscreen covers

everhopeful

Does anyone have experience of using one of these insulated covers?

I've not been through a winter yet, but I'm thinking I should have one to cut the condensation and keep the cold out. Even in August the screen was misted over in the morning - probably no surprise there then!

The question is, do they work and are they worth the trouble and expense. Also, are they all the same, or can anyone reccomend a particular supplier?

At least one company (Taylor-made) are selling an extra-depth cover that includes the grille at the bottom of the windscreen. Sounds useful, but has anyone any thoughts on this?

Cheers :-D

Hi

I have used the 'Silverscreens' make before and they really do work - i.e. they stop condensation and keep the front cab area warmer than just curtains or even the pleated blinds. Once in place you do not need to use curtains for privacy either.

They are made to fit the model/type of motorhome so you need to advise the manufacturer of your vehicle details. They are easy to fit, light to store and can press down into a fairly small package.

We have just changed vehicles and will be purchasing a set for the new van - sometimes it is possible to get them secondhand - but this time will get the typw that have the front section on velcro fastenings to allow it to be kept in place on the screen but rolled up to let in light during the day.

Regards, David

Hello everhopeful. I asked the same question last Autumn and got lots of advice from forum members.

I f the search facility is working you will get useful info there. If it's not then yes to all your questions.

We bought a second hand one off MMM classified ads. and used it all winter when we were out in the van.

It cuts out draughts and stops condensation and helps keep van warmer. Wouldn't be without one now.

As you said Taylormade make them. Also Silver screens.

Carol

Hi,

I have a silver screen for my Swift used it last week whilst up in the Pyrenees, cold at night no condensation and keeping the camper warm then of to the coast at St Jean de Luz in the 30s great, put the siver screen on to keep the camper cool, in the day time and prevent condensation at night when the temperature dropped. Will be using it at Hawes on the way back to the IOM later on. Then I put it on the windscreen for the winter to keep the sun out and stop any condensation. would not be without one. Geoff

We use our Taylormade windscreen covers all the time, even when the van is parked up at the side of the house. They keep the inside cooler and as it has been in the mid 90's these last few days keeps the sun out as well. Ours are the kind that you can turn down the top part of the cover on the windscreen so that if you are inside during the day you can still see out, these just pop back up using velcro. We would not be without them.

The only problem I have encountered using a silver screen long term on a windscreen (long periods of frost) is that the material seems to grow almost like an algae between the material and screen.

Easy to clean off, but tends to mark the material. Also long term very wet weather seems to make the padding go soggy.

That apart its a sensible idea, the option is wet dripping screen on the inside, I would rather it be wet and dripping on the outside ;-)

Rgds

We have the Silverscreen blinds and they are very good. Can I suggest if you do order some then get the ones that fold down and have the gauze privacy panel in them. They are good because you can nosey at the other vans as they arrive on site and they can't see you, unless you've got your lights on!

They are also better if you use the swivel front seats and use your cab as part of your living space becasue they let lots of light in.

Of all the kit we carry these are the ones in the "never leave home without" category.

Guest Tracker

On the other hand you also need somewhere to store bulky and wet screen covers when on the road, you have to go out in the rain to fit and remove them and you can't see out of the cab windows without going outside to at least peel 'em back!

In well over 30 years of motor caravanning I have never felt the need for them, but then again I have never used the van in extreme winter conditions.

We have camped in below freezing temperatures from time to time with no problems apart from heavy windscreen condensation - easily removed with sponge and leather.

They are very popular and a lot depends on your camping habits. If you sit on site for several days at a time then their use might be less of a pain but if you are highly mobile nomadic one night and move on motor caravanners then they can be quite a pain in the bum when 'tis wet.

Your choice - I ain't knockin 'em - but, as with most things, there are potential downsides too.

Oh yes and if using the van when temperatures are close to freezing Propane will work when Butane will not 'gas off'!

Oh yes - and do you have inboard or insulated or heated external water tanks and pipework for very cold climates?

We bought a set of Taylor made screen covers and would not be without them they keep the cold  and the hot sun out they are easy to fit in no time at all i admit a bit of a pain when wet i just squeegy most of the water off roll them as best i can and put them in the bag not a lot of bother but well worth the effort and money well spent.

Hi all.

Thanks so much for all your replies.

After the "Summer" we've had I hadn't thought about using a cover to keep the sun out! Good point though, and would of course solve the blazing brightness I sometimes get coming in the front in the morning. This would save the need for blacker curtains.

I did have a good go with the site search and found nothing on this subject. I'll persist more though because experience based advice is something I value greatly.

I do tend to stay put on sites, so I'm now fairly convinced to go ahead. I won't be camping in serious winter, but certainly very late and early. The option of keeping the "wet and dripping" on the outside sounds unmissable!

Looks like there's really only two manufacturers to consider, so it's homework time.

Don't know what to do about the extra depth option, but on the face it does seem a good idea.

Thanks again :-D

It seems most have the standard length covers where the wipers sit on the outside. I'm wondering about the deeper version where the wipers are covered along with the bonnet grille.

Being a Boxer it's probably a good thing to cover the grille, but would the extra bit flap about without the wipers on top? Could the wipers even be damaged by the cover?

Also, when folding the top half down, I'm guessing you'd normally tuck the top under the wipers. With the wipers being covered I'm wondering if flapping in the wind would be a problem here too.

Oh dear, head's hurting again! :-D

Everhopeful- Dont forget you can get Taylormade screens in single skin mode ( without the bulky insulation ) which keep out the heat and still do a good job at keeping condensation at bay. Mine have a peel down centre panel to allow one to look out and the real bonus is they roll up quite compact and dont cost so much as the insulated ones. :-D

Having a pre x250 ducato I have been offered a set of silver screens for a 1999 boxer..any idea if they would fit my model?

I seem to think that there were no major differences to the ducato/boxer between 1999 and late 2006 with the introduction of the x250.

any help would be grateful as I dont fancy a twenty mile trip to find out the wont fit

If you`ve got a Peugot Boxer I`ve got some for sale for a 1995-2002 model. I only used them once as I prefer the internal ones, even though you still get condersation on the inside of the screen. I prefer to put them on & take `em off in the dry when it`s wet outside and I think they`re bulkier than the internal ones. For me personally the internal ones are less hassle. If I was camping in the Alps in the middle of winter I would probably use them but as I don`t I won`t be requiring them.

Champstar - 2008-09-01 8:52 PM

Having a pre x250 ducato I have been offered a set of silver screens for a 1999 boxer..any idea if they would fit my model?

I seem to think that there were no major differences to the ducato/boxer between 1999 and late 2006 with the introduction of the x250.

any help would be grateful as I dont fancy a twenty mile trip to find out the wont fit

We bought some from Taylormade for our 1998 Rapido Fiat Ducato and they now fit our 2002 Laika Fiat Ducato. Best to ring Taylormade for confirmation.

We have both types. External type seem better insulators with minimal screen condensation down as far as -5 C. Each type help keep the sun out but i would anticipate very high temperatures between the internal type and the windscreen that might cook windscreen adhesives. Externals only take about a minute to fit being less fiddly than the internal ones with umpteen suckers.

If it is still raining when time to move off the externals are a bit of a pain but we just bag them and leave in shower to drain. If wet but not raining they quickly drain if hung over the external mirrors.

The big advantage of internals is if for some reason ( say when wild camping) you need to move in a hurry you can remove them without going outside. In ten years wandering Europe the only time I have moved was from a car park that turned out to be over the end one of the alpine railway tunnels and the closely spaced trains hooted before entering.

One of the makers of external screens advised against leaving them on for prolonged periods due to moisture retention both in the insulation and against the body work.

We take both when abroad but leave the internals at base in the UK.

I have seen some external ones that cover the bonnet and radiator duct and this might help retain engine heat in the vehicle for a while.

Covering the bonnet grill will help prevent draughts through the standard cab heating system if it is windy.

• 4 weeks later...
The diesel heating is fired by a 'boiler' unit under the caravan section which is inlet and exhaust vented externally under the van and not under the bonnet or in the engine 'greasy bits' area, so there are no worries about covering the van engine unless you run the engine for battery charging or extra heat whilst on site.

Archived