Calais to Carcassonne

dragonflyer

I would welcome suggestions as to the best route to take (non toll) to get to Carcassonne, going next week.

As we cross on the train at 6 in the morning, is it reasonable to expect to arrive at Carcassone at the end of the second day or is that pushing it? My husband is in his mid 70s and likes to do all the driving. We do stop every 2 hours or so for a brew up and to stretch the legs.

Any advice on campsites at Carcassonne and aires/sites en route would be appreciated.

Thanks Joyce

We went to Carcassone this summer, but it was a very meandering route as we weren't in any hurry. I'd say if you aren't using toll roads you should allow for at least 5 days. We didn't like the look of the aire at Carcassone so stayed at the aire at Trebes. Parked at side of canal du midi with vineyard at other side. Water, dump, all free. Bus stop 400 yds away straight into Carcassone. All a bit commercial for us so we returned after 2 hours for another day by the canal.

regards

Allen

Thanks Trooper

We have both the current year Green (Aires) and Blue (Campsite) books of the French Camping Federation. Personal recommendations are always appreciated.

We also have Roger's Guide but found the one site we tried stuffed with Brits, we might as well have stopped at home. Fortunately we were in transit. We then used French Aires most of the time when travelling.

Regards

Joyce

If timing is important, and journies tiring, suggest autoroutes better, Been to carcasonne few times, and prefer the route that takes in the new Millieieu bridge. I am also 71,but do share the driving. In fact, she hogs the driver seat most of time.

For sites, check the guides, as there is an enormous variation on facilities on offer, and what suits me might be unsuitable for you.

Guest JudgeMental

Just looked at a route on my satnav (you can turn of toll preference) and to be honest its a bit to complicated for me to explain and would be worried about you following my poor instructions*-)

Have you considered getting a satnav, they can be had for less than £100.

Or try one of the online maps such as: http://www.mappy.co.uk/

I just put in your route (you can specify no tolls as well) and you get a printable version which is very good. It says 14 hours and 1080 km (580km motorway)

So quite a tough drive sticking to non tolls but probably more interesting. Why the rush, you can't really expect to have it both ways.....I often drive 8 hours a day but are you happy to do this.

We enjoyed Carrcassone, we were there on a barmy summers evening, it was packed and full of atmosphere and we had a delightful meal in a square. There is a large site at foot of Carcassonne and a large Aire as well, again a satnav can have all these in its memory and make life so much easier :-D

Would certainly recommend the aire at Trebes by the Canal Du midi. Super bike rides along the canal.

Would recommend the site at foot of Carcassone with easy walk into old town (except last bit, up steps) Nice restaurants in the old town.

Millau aire is in the town, free and marked into individual pitches but would be tight for MH over 7 metres. When we visited there in May 2008 was no drinking water tap on this aire.

The area around Clermont Ferrand is worth exploring.

Thanks

We do have SatNav, 2 in fact a Medion and TomTom730. I was wondering which was the better way to go, down the west side and swing across or straight down the middle.

My intention is to get to Carcassonne as swiftly as possible, in a safe manner then put our feet up for a couple of days and do nothing much except look at the view. Perhaps then spend a couple of days at the beach.

After that to set off for Millau, using information gained from this forum. Then we will tootle back home in a leisurely manner so that we have some benefit from the holiday.

I do like to plan ahead, but never book so that we can change everything if something special comes up.

It would be nice to spend weeks away, but alas we have a garden and community commitments.

Regards

Joyce

JohnP - 2008-08-31 3:56 PM

Would certainly recommend the aire at Trebes by the Canal Du midi. Super bike rides along the canal.

Would recommend the site at foot of Carcassone with easy walk into old town (except last bit, up steps) Nice restaurants in the old town.

Millau aire is in the town, free and marked into individual pitches but would be tight for MH over 7 metres. When we visited there in May 2008 was no drinking water tap on this aire.

The area around Clermont Ferrand is worth exploring.

I agree with JohnP about the site next to the old city of Carcassonne.

It's called " Campeole la Cite " and is only 10 to 15 minute walk into the old town.

We also went to Trebes and rode along the canal, but the aire was full and we stayed at a nice little municipal campsite half a mile away ( across the river from the aire ) called " Municipal a l'Ombre des Micouliers"

( We were there in June this year).

Have a good trip.

Mirage, you certainly seen a different one than I visited, I saw a beautiful old town with lots of history set in a beautiful setting with something for everyone, a peaceful canal to cycle along, a good french food market in the new town square, a place I look forward to visiting again.

Dragonflyer enjoy your visit, the walk along the river from the site La cite was a pleasant way to start the day, you can also cycle along the path no trouble, right into Carcassonne. Carol.

Try logging your route on www.viamichelin.com you can input Calais / Carcassonne and choose which type of route you prefer . Quickest/ Shortest / Leisure / Toll Free this will give you a breakdown of distance / time of travel then use tomtom en route avoiding toll roads

In June we travelled Calais to Millau via Oradour-Sur- Glane this took 3 days motoring stopping at Argenton-sur-Creuse /Oradour-Sur-Glane and Rodez although we did not get to Carcassonne the route we took may give you some idea of the time scale of the journey if that helps.

I regularly travel to the Carcassonne area and, going via Rouen, Vierzon, Brive and Toulouse, you could easily do it in 3 days, even if you avoid the toll roads. If you find the Tarbes aire full, try the one a bit further along the canal at Laredorte. Making your way back to Millau, there are good aires at Fraisse-s-Agout (On grass, by the river,7€ but worth it, very peaceful), Belmont-s-Rance, Roquefort (the cheese town), Camares (by the river and a swimming lake) and a very good "Camping à la ferme" at Castelnau, on the river 4kms East of Nant on the D999.Just the place to while away a few days if the weather is right.

As with most things, you can have any two of "good, quick, or cheap" (ask any builder).

You'll be in France, and going to Carcassonne so that's all "Good."

Beyond that you either pay up, belt down the motorway and get there in 2 days (no problem, I did it earlier this year), or you settle down to enjoy the drive through France and take a few days to get there - which is what I've done more often.

You CAN make an "offsetting" saving on fuel if you use the motorways and drive slowly, but that rather defeats the object of motorways IMHO.

Either way, enjoy it.

Tony

I have found that using the 'No Toll Road' option can provide a fascinating trip! Went from Calais the St Die des Vosges, near Strabourg via this method and went through Belgium and Luxembourg en route, probably about 2 hours longer than toll roads. Also did Chalons en Champagne on non toll roads, again, about 2 hours longer than the auto route, but much more pleasant.

I would have thought that Calais to Carcasonne, off toll roads, would be a minimum 3 day drive, unless you drive for very long hours!

We loved Carcassonne and the La Cite campsite was ideal for facilitys and the pleasent walk into the old town. Wether it will be "stuffed with Brits" I do not know, but I find having some of my country men around me no bother. In fact they make a refreshing change from the po faced french who always seem to have a superoir attitude about them :D but France is a lovely country, shame about some of the natives.

dragonflyer - 2008-08-31 2:18 PM

As we cross on the train at 6 in the morning, is it reasonable to expect to arrive at Carcassone at the end of the second day or is that pushing it? My husband is in his mid 70s and likes to do all the driving. We do stop every 2 hours or so for a brew up and to stretch the legs.

Any advice on campsites at Carcassonne and aires/sites en route would be appreciated.

Thanks Joyce

Going back to your original request, Joyce, starting off at 6.30am BST from Calais, you could get to Carcassonne the next day without pushing it too much. We normally leave from the Le Portel aire (Boulogne) at 10am (local time) and stop at an aire at either La Ferté-Beauharnais (quiet, free, by a lake) or Mery-s-Cher (a bit further on, but 3€ and a bit noisy, being by a busy road), arriving about 5pm with about an hours stop en route. as you would be away earlier, you could probably make it to the aire at Uzerche, as the road beyond Mery is a free motorway. This is a good, quiet, free aire, near the Eastern end of the old bridge over the river in the centre of the town, and you might even get a free hook-up. From there, given an early start, it would not be pushing it too much to reach Carcassonne by 6 pm, even if you leave the A20 South of Brive, where it becomes a toll road, and follow the N20 to Toulouse. You will need to keep your wits about you going round Toulouse. Even from Mery you could reach Carcassonne in a day. I can't personally recommend any of the aires between Mery and Uzerche as, although they do exist, I have never had occaision to use them.

As always there are several routes but the fastest might me Calais, then A1 direction Paris. Leave at J6 and take the A3 then the A86 direction Lyon and then the excellent A71 direction Toulouse. If the spirit moved you, you could do just one overnight stop and be there the next day which is what I did last month but two overnight stops would be much more comfortable and in keeping with being on holiday!!

BrianR - 2008-09-02 8:53 PM

dragonflyer - 2008-08-31 2:18 PM

Thanks Joyce

Going back to your original request, Joyce, starting off at 6.30am BST from Calais, you could get to Carcassonne the next day without pushing it too much. We normally leave from the Le Portel aire (Boulogne) at 10am (local time) and stop at an aire at either La Ferté-Beauharnais (quiet, free, by a lake) or Mery-s-Cher (a bit further on, but 3€ and a bit noisy, being by a busy road), arriving about 5pm with about an hours stop en route. as you would be away earlier, you could probably make it to the aire at Uzerche, as the road beyond Mery is a free motorway. This is a good, quiet, free aire, near the Eastern end of the old bridge over the river in the centre of the town, and you might even get a free hook-up. From there, given an early start, it would not be pushing it too much to reach Carcassonne by 6 pm, even if you leave the A20 South of Brive, where it becomes a toll road, and follow the N20 to Toulouse. You will need to keep your wits about you going round Toulouse. Even from Mery you could reach Carcassonne in a day. I can't personally recommend any of the aires between Mery and Uzerche as, although they do exist, I have never had occaision to use them.

I have also done this route and would reccommend it. If the Mery aire is full or you feel too noisy go a bit further up the road to Mennetou sur cher which is a nice spot and also just north of Brive, the aire at Objat is lovely with showers, toilets, picnic area, hardstanding and grass area for sunbathing/meals outside the van. The aire is protected by a barrier and you get the code from the Tourist Info in the centre of the village. You can walk into village from aire and there are some nice cheap restaurants there. From there to Carcassonne is a nice half day amble-Camping La cite is fine for a couple of days in Carcassonne and well worth a visit

Archived