Travelling to venice

Jack

We are planning to go to Venice, starting off middle of September for 4/6 weeks. Does anyone have any advice regarding: best route to take, and which campsites to consider en route, also at Venice. Have used Aires quite a lot when travelling around France so could also make use of these if there are any recommendations.

Many thanks.

When we went to Venice a couple of years ago we went round to the south of the city onto the peninsula past Lido di Jessolo and stayed at a site called " Ca Savio"

Good site and within easy reach of the ferries across to Venice.

It's a great way to arrive in that city.

Have a good trip.

Jack - 2008-08-31 10:23 PM

We are planning to go to Venice, starting off middle of September for 4/6 weeks. Does anyone have any advice regarding: best route to take, and which campsites to consider en route, also at Venice. Have used Aires quite a lot when travelling around France so could also make use of these if there are any recommendations.

Many thanks.

Hi Jack,

We have been to Venice many times in the last 20 years and it's one of our favorite places plus the boss is into Venetian glass horses.

We prefer to stay at Camping Miramare http://www.camping-miramare.it/index-gb.htm at Punta Sabbioni. You can then take the ferry to Venice. There's also a "Sosta" (aire) near the ferry terminal at Punta Sabbioni

The drive to Punta Sabbioni is a bit awkward but we think it's worth it.

I would suggest you avoid Camping Fusina, It can get over run with Coach

parties and backpackers who make a lot of noise well into the early hours.

Our preferred route is through Switzerland.

Safe travelling

Don

We too are frequent visitors to Venice - its one of those places that draws you back. We always stay at the Miramare- the last time was May this year. The "Sosta" nearby costs almost as much if you qualify for the "Over 60s" discount at the Miramare, so we have never used it. The staff at the Miramare are very friendly, they speak some English and there is a free bus service to the ferry. The ferry is, however, only a 5 minute walk along the side of the lagoon. There is also a free bus to the Adriatic beach, which is a 15 minute walk. When we go to Venice directly from the UK we go via Troyes, Chaumont, Besançon, Pontalier, Grand St. Bernard ,then the A5 and A4 motorways to Mestra. If you do go to the Miamare, turn off the A4 at the airport turning then follow the road SS14 to Jesolo, then Cavallino and Punta Sabbioni. There are aires I can recommend at Langres and two on the lake St. Croix(?) just South of Pontarlier. There is a sosta I can recommend at Graglia, near Biella. I would not advise staying, or even parking, at the sosta in Venice itself as it is not secure. We never use the toll motorways in France but we have found that in Italy it is definitely worth using them, as the ordinary roads are so crowded and built up. See http://www.camperonline.it/ and http://www.turismoitinerante.com/php/sosta/italia/mappe.php for details of sostas.

We are also fans of Miramare have stayed there a couple of times. Last time we went there was quite a nice restaurant next door. How long are you intending to stay in Venice? It crossed my mind that if it was some time and you were interested in some time on the beach Ca Savio might be better. However if its just to explore the wonderful city of Venice then Miramare is the most convenient choice.

David

Many thanks for the replies and the helpful information and we will put into good use. We have no definite time scale to stay around Venice but expect that we will need a few days to explore.

One thing I should have asked is what is the weather likely to be at this time of year ie end of September/October.

Jack

Jack - 2008-09-01 8:40 PM

One thing I should have asked is what is the weather likely to be at this time of year ie end of September/October.

Jack

Who knows, this year? If it returns to the norm for automn, it will be pleasantly warm and not much, if any, rain. Later in October and into November it cools down quickly and becomes more unsettled.

• 1 month later...

We're arriving in Venice tomorrow. Annoyingly, unless I'm mistaken, all the Camping Cheque and ACSI Camping Card sites are closed.

Done a bit of searching and found a free Aree di Sosta in Punta Sabbioni, which is a bit of a pain because we're travelling up from Florence and it's right round the other side of the lagoon.

Does anyone know how much the ferry is from Sabbiioni to Venice and if dogs are allowed?

Camping Fusina is open but it's 32€ per night and the price of a ferry as well!!

When we stayed at Miramare, we used the tourist tickets which gave the opportunity to drop off on the islands, and also covered the waterbuses around the canals.

Can't answer the question about dogs, but as for prices (from Punta Sabbione)....

Copied from Miramare website:

The single way ticket costs € 6,50 (60 minutes valid). You can also use the "Tourist Tickets" ["12 hours" (€ 14.00), "24 hours" (€ 16,00),"36 hours" (€ 21,00), "48 hours" (€ 26,00) e "72 hours" (€ 31,00)]. They give you the possibility to use all public transport ACTV lines inside of the Comune di Venezia (islands and main land included).

Don Madge - 2008-09-01 8:41 AM

I would suggest you avoid Camping Fusina, It can get over run with Coach

parties and backpackers who make a lot of noise well into the early hours.

Don

We've only been the once, in 2003, but we used Fusina and had no problems back then with noise etc, even though it was high season.

Regular ferry across to the city, everyone friendly and helpful. But of course it may have changed in 5 years!

Our route was Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany - pausing a while at Konigssee in Bavaria (well worth a visit!), then a little bit of Austria and down through Cortina.

Knowing it'd be some years before we'd be in Italy again, we spent some time near Florence as well - Camping Il Poggetto, again highly recommended. Superb on-site restaurant (used by locals!) and frequent air-con buses into Florence.

Have a great time however you do it!

Tony

Archived