Travelling through Austria

salu

Has anyone experience of using the Go Box for travelling through Austria, taking our Bessacarr 3800kg and trailer to Croatia and best route would seam to include Austria any info would be gratefully received. (lol)

Hi

Travelled through Austria to Croatia in May. Left Calais and first night in Luxembourg municipal(bus into City)Then through Germany via Neunkirchen,Pirmasens,Karlsruhe,Stuttgart,Ulm,Kempten in one day and stopped the night in the camper stop in Fussen. To Ehrwalt,through the Fernpass to Telfs

Collected Go box at a garage before Telfs after trying several garages and being told where to collect. You pay €75 minimum,produce your log book (make sure you mention your trailer as the box is set for either 2 ,3 axle or trailers, I was 3 axle)

We followed the motorway to the Brenner Pass in to Italy. Make sure at the Brenner Pass to follow the Go Box lane at the toll as you have already paid (Muggins did not and caused chaos !!)

At the border pull in by the timber pedestrian bridge that crosses the motorway and walk across the bridge and find the Go box office . Cost us with a tandem axle € 36 so were credited the balance PAY cash for the box and they will return cash. Credit cards are not recommended.

We left the motorway at Trento and stayed a night nearby. through Bassano del Grappa and onto the A4 near Venice.Good camper stop at Grado before Trieste.

Enjoy Croatia. We went down to Dubrovnik over 3 weeks and ferried from there to Bari in Italy and home via the Riviera and France in total 6 weeks

Ian

hi Whisturx

Interested to read your information and route - but if my understanding is correct you do not need a "Go-Box" at all to pass through Austria if you alter your route slightly. This route was passed to me by a posse of German motorhomers mightily p***d off that they had to go through this Go Box carry on to travel through Austria.

Use the fernpass as you suggest (note - one of the few non motorway passes) but do not join the Austrian motorway at Telfs. Instead proceed from Nassereith on non-A roads to Imst,Landeck,Pfunds, Nauders and then Italy ! This route uses no motorways or Austrian A roads and so needs no vignette or go box. These roads are excellent - perfectly suitable for motorhomes. Admittedly once in Italy the route to Bolzano is slower than your Brenner pass road. After Bolzano your choice to use Italian motorways or not on a pay as you go basis !

I have used this route several times - and even my TomTom coorectlyroutes me this way if I say find a route without tolls when leaving Fussen.

Archived