French Pyrenees

John.N

Guest JudgeMental

I would look up on ACSI or other books, then ask an opinion on ones you shortlist.....

Have stopped either side on Atlantic and Med coast but not in the Pyrenees.

I did the Pyrenees route last month and spent time in St Jean Pied de Port about an hour south east of Biarritz. I stayed at Camping Narbaitz which suited me fine. www.camping-narbaitz.com

Of course you can also stay in the middle of this tourist hotspot at the local school sports stadium.The town is full of signs to car parks with a motor home logo so it is all very easy but if you want facilities Narbaitz is good - two miles out of town.

John

I have stayed at Cauterets (France) on the Aire, which is more or less in the centre of town and was quite cheap. If you don't like Aires, there are all year sites nearby (see the Caravan Club book 'Caravan Europe 1'

Another good location, especially for shopping, is Andorra. The site we have used there is Camping Valira, right in Andorra-la-Vella itself. Andorran sites tend to be quite expensive, but Valira is only a few miles from the shopping supermarket of Punt de Trobada and a very easy walk into the town centre.

Regards ...... Michael

Hi John,

Back from the Pyrenees been out for about a week. I think the pyrenees are very understated and are well worth visiting we went to Artouste-Fabreges on the D934 south of Pau it is up in the hills and the municipal campsite is next to the cable car that takes you up yhe mountain and then a 50min train ride to the damm wonderful trip. The camsite looks over the dam of Artouste and mountains and its FREE there is no hook up but there is a blue machine which takes tokens available from the tourist office for water electricity for an hour. there is also waste disposal. We stopped there for a couple of days, I think its a well kept French secret not a brit in sight, its an absolute gem of a place and I can't wait to go back. We then moved on to ST Jean De Luz camped at a really nice site on the cliff top Bord de la Mer good facilities and hook up then on La Rhune for a super trip on the cog railway for a 4km trip up The mountain side a must if you are in the area then to St jean Pied De Port camping municipal by the river at the top end of the town all facilities nice site good acces to town. We then went up the hill to spain about 6km to the shopping centre to top up with supplies and diesel at 1.19 pr ltr then back to our base in the Sw of France. off again Oct. We have been up to Anndorra good site just off town centre. there is a very good furnicular railway and caves just south of lourdes Ther are lots of caming sites around the pyrenees we use the Aire de Services guide and the Caravan club Europe1 book . hope this wets your appetite for your trip.

Regards Geoff

John.N - 2008-09-02 9:11 PM

SOMEBODY must have been there surely! This is the only thread that hasn't had a response. Is nobody speaking to me or something? Come on folks, give us a break.

B-) We have been there several times. But we DID NOt USE any campsite. So we could not suggest one. This is where we stayed:-

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/johnsandywhite/ANDORA.jpg

Have only been to St.Jean Pied de Port recently - nice little town - stayed about 1 km outside at the campsite called Camping Narbaitz which I recall had very good facilities.

Many years ago stayed at a site called Les Gaves in Laruns, another nice little town.

Most scenic place was at the tiny village of Lescun, on, what was then, quite a basic municipal site. It was said to have magnificent mountain views but we had thick mist for a couple of days and missed out.

had some good walks there.

On the Spanish side I think one of the most spectacular places is the Ordesa National Park. We camped in Torla. Out of season you can drive up to the Ordesa Gorge, but in high season you have to take a bus ride from Torla. Beautiful place with excellent walking.

John.N - 2008-09-02 10:11 PM

SOMEBODY must have been there surely! This is the only thread that hasn't had a response. Is nobody speaking to me or something? Come on folks, give us a break.

Been many times, but always 'wild camped' or stayed at aires. Don't do campsites.

If you want to o down to the Mediterranean end, I can recommend Camping Le Rotja, which is just off the Prades to Andorra road (N116). Details on http://www.prades-tourisme.com/camping-lerotja/. A bit further down the valley is the very good Camping Municipal at Prades.See http://www.leconflent.net/camping/en/ The market at Prades is excellent. More information about Prades and the aea on www.prades-tourisme.com - click on the union flag for the English version.

Thank you everyone for your input. I knew you would turn up trumps eventually. I am principally interested in the middle section rather than the Atlantic or Mediterranean ends but have taken on board quite a bit of useful information.

Happy cruising to you all, John

John,

Stopped here for a few days last year.

http://www.camping-pradelongue.com/

Very comfortable site with good facilities just about 1.5 mile out of Luchon town. Supermarket and fuel next to the site. Lots of eating places and, of course, the mineral baths to enjoy.

Easy access to the mountains via the cable car right in the town centre. They even lift your bike up and you can cycle down the road or choose from a number of mountain bike tracks. Of course you could just go for a stroll in the mountains.

Then moved on to Torla on the Spanish side and stopped here.

http://www.ordesa.net/camping-rioara/

Site owners had limited English at the time but enough to get by.

Absolutely stunning scenery and lots of walks from the site. Good modern facilities on the site and a range of excellent eating places in town 5-10mins walk away depending how fit you are.

Hope this is useful. Enjoy

Peter

If you're looking at the central section, then Cauterets (already mentioned) is a good choice as it has all facilities, good scenic surroundings, and access to surrounding areas.

There are a number of sites in the immediate vicinity, with at least one well equipped one in a good position almost in the centre of the town.

Archived