Lake District- will the narrow roads be a problem?

Becky

I bought my MH this spring and have spent many lovely days away(regardless of the weather), mainly with the Photogroup of Camping & Caravanning Club. But I want to explore the Lake District and have been told that the roads are really too narrow for a Motorhome.

If this is true, what is the feeling on towing a small car? Anyone do this?

If not, any recommended campsites near photogenic locations?

Hi Becky

I have only travelled once around the lakes area, but quite extensively. Although some of the roads are narrow there was never a time when i had to reverse or had any major problems. There was only one site that was very difficult to access with our coachbuilt motorhome and that was over a very narrow bridge over which i had to fold the mirrors in or risk losing them(the site name escapes me as does the other sites we stayed on) .

Guest Tracker

It depends to a large degree on A, your driving ability, B your confidence and C your common sense!

Unless you have huge amounts of A and B - don't go down roads with a 6'6" width limit unless you are very brave and/or know the road!

Be wary of roads with a 6'6" width limit 'except for access' as it often means there is room for larger vehicles - up to a point - but it can be a bit tight in places or they just plain want to frighten or discourage us all from entry!

If you are not yet fully aware of what you and your van can do you could do worse than find an empty car park close to home and just practise getting all four wheels accurately in and out of empty parking bays both forwards and backwards. As most parking bays are too small for a motorhome this might give you more of an idea where the corners of your van are.

You could also do worse than finding a quiet road (on an industrial estate on a Sunday for example) and practise reversing both in a straight line and round bends and corners just using the outside mirrors for guidance.

Hope this helps.

Biggest vehicle I've driven around lakes is my T25 which is quite a bit smaller than your van. Strikes me there are couple of things to consider, generaly your van should be ok on it's own but main problem can be other traffic, a lot of the passing places people use would be very tight for your van and many car drivers seem not to care or understand that a van needs more room, so I would try to avoid busy times and even then be 'chilled out' enough not to get hassled, also there are some long steep deccents so you need to take care not to overheat brakes

Thank you everyone.

I have covered over 2500 miles this 'summer' and have managed to get into carparks, although it is easier sometimes to bag 2 spaces (lol)

Being left hand drive, I can negotiate narrow roads fairly easily, and certainly wouldn't attempt 6 foot wide tracks. The backing camera helps me in reverse, so I have managed to turn round when I get lost. Which does happen as my satnav isn't always accurate & I do rather rely on it as I am on my own; well there is the spaniel but she is a hopeless map reader.

Must admit to quite fancying a little car + trailer behind though :->

Dragged our 8ft wide caravan all over the lake district and never had any problem.

We have found that MOST other road users to be very helpful indeed in so much as one particular person reversed some 250 yards to let us through.

Don't fret about the roads, its the other people, and they are usually ok.

We found it to be less of a problem than you might think

John.N - 2008-09-01 8:08 PM

I thought that most motorhomes exceeded 6'6" in width. The only 'no-go' road that I have encountered is Honister Pass but I am sure that there must be many others.

We lived in Cumbria (just outside the Lakes) for 10 years when the kids were younger. We had a 4-berth Glendale coachbuilt, 7ft wide but not too long, and took that ove rHonister Pass once. Wouldn't make a habit of it though.

Go and enjoy yourself Becky, it's a wonderful area - and not just the actual Nat Park area either. Take a trundle up or down the west coast while you're there.

Tony

silverbike - 2008-09-02 9:08 AM

It seems to me you should be able to get out of difficulties yourself. Yes, it's nice when people help but what would you have done if the other car had also had a caravan? Irresistible force meets immovable object!

Hi Silverbike

Believe it or not I am a natural at reversing our caravan so maybe I am just one of lifes lucky ones but I take your point

I love the Lake District but my satnav really put me in a bummer of a position this year... It took me to a place where I was in the narrowest of narrow lanes and came to a t junction which led to another one car width road. I couldn't turn left OR right into it and couldn't reverse either... It took me about 45 minutes to get out of the spot I was in and am eternally grateful to the local who helped me.

Advice: if using your satnav ... ignore it and go off your own instincts if you think it is leading you up a garden path ... literally! :-(

I lost my R/h mirror to a 'white van man' in a hurry in the lake district, I had stopped over to the left with my l/h mirror in the bushes,but he 'ploughed on' without lfting his foot from the throttle or moving over.My only consolation was his mirror got smashed too.(he probably didn't have to pay for his).

My m/h isn't extra wide either. Just be ready for whatever you might meet around the next bend.(it's not that bad....honest) :D :D

Rayjsj - 2008-09-02 11:55 PM

I lost my R/h mirror to a 'white van man' in a hurry in the lake district, I had stopped over to the left with my l/h mirror in the bushes,but he 'ploughed on' without lfting his foot from the throttle or moving over.My only consolation was his mirror got smashed too.(he probably didn't have to pay for his).

My m/h isn't extra wide either. Just be ready for whatever you might meet around the next bend.(it's not that bad....honest) :D :D

I had identical experience with my old Bedford Glendale on the road between Broughton and Coniston about 15 years ago. wonder if it was the same WVM?

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
Becky - 2008-09-01 7:24 PM

I bought my MH this spring and have spent many lovely days away(regardless of the weather), mainly with the Photogroup of Camping & Caravanning Club. But I want to explore the Lake District and have been told that the roads are really too narrow for a Motorhome.

I know a lot of people tow cars and, of course it is up to the individual, but no one has ever given a good reason for it. To me it is totally illogical and if you feel you need a car to get around you would be far better of to sell the m/h and buy a caravan. Most manage by using common sense and carrying a bike or a small scooter. As others have said you will not have problems in the lakes if you avoid the very obvious to narrow lanes.

Becky - 2008-09-01 7:24 PM

I know a lot of people tow cars and, of course it is up to the individual, but no one has ever given a good reason for it. To me it is totally illogical and if you feel you need a car to get around you would be far better of to sell the m/h and buy a caravan. Most manage by using common sense and carrying a bike or a small scooter. As others have said you will not have problems in the lakes if you avoid the very obvious to narrow lanes.

Hi Rupert, I will give you our reason for having a motorhome and not a caravan and towing a car, I AM DISABLED, having back and leg problems, I cannot walk a great distance and most sites as you know are rural, I also require to get up and strech legs at least every hour, and certainly couldnt do this towing a caravan. not every-one tows a car just for the fun of it, most have needs, or they wouldnt do it, ie, increase in ferry charges, fuel consumption etc.

(lol) live is for living and enjoying no matter what.

horse444 - 2008-10-01 3:40 PM

Hi Rupert, I will give you our reason for having a motorhome and not a caravan and towing a car, I AM DISABLED, having back and leg problems, I cannot walk a great distance and most sites as you know are rural, I also require to get up and strech legs at least every hour, and certainly couldnt do this towing a caravan. not every-one tows a car just for the fun of it, most have needs, or they wouldnt do it, ie, increase in ferry charges, fuel consumption etc.

(lol) live is for living and enjoying no matter what.

No sorry still do not see a reason, unless you get up and stretch your legs on the move, hope not.

Archived