Fuel Prices France. Why can't our Government??? do this?

RoyH

Thanks for that site RoyH - it looks very useful indeed although you need to look at the dates carefully as some are as far back as July. I'm in France at the moment and have noticed a wide variation in the prices. Some are still charging well into the 1.50s and the lowest I have paid is 1.29. Has the price continued to rise in England then?

One reason the UK government may not be able to do this is that they don't have the information.

Anyone know if they do?

If not, it would obviously cost to gather the information - and I don't suppose anyone would like taxes to rise to pay for it.

Graham

Some possible reasons why our Government can't do it.......

1. They tried but cocked it up.

2. They recruited a whole section of civil servants, led by a G6 (£120K per year including on-costs) backed up with a G7, 2 SEO's, 4 HEO's, two EO's , an Admin and a PS. Total pay, rations and overheads £590K a year. After two years, they have just completed their eighth internal re-organisation, fourth office move, third "diversity" exercise, third course on human rights legislation and second "gender awareness, re-orientation, 360-degree feedback workshop". They will start work on your fuel price project, next week. Hopefully.

3. They engaged a major firm of consultants at vast expense to produce just such a system. After 3 years' of fees the report concluded: "There is insufficent data on which to base a firm recommendation to Ministers at as this time. We advocate extending our contract for a further two years to complete this essential exercise which will bring real benefits to real families in Britain and bring an end to boom and bust in fuel prices over the medium term."

4. Another firm of consultants were engaged to cross-check the first set of consultants. They mirrored the original exercise, at equally vast expense over three years. They completed their report, kept the original on a laptop, put a copy on a CD and a further copy on a USB Data Key. The laptop was left on a train, the CD was lost in the post and the Senior Consultant's 9 year old daughter put her homework on the Data Key, took it to her top-flight boarding school after a weekend at home and her friends flushed it down the loo as a "jolly super prank" not realising that £22 millions of taxpayers' money went with it.

5. It is in the Treasury's interests to have high fuel prices in order to maximise fuel tax revenues.

Bob ;-)

Although this info is interesting and in some cases may be useful, I don't think anyone would base a tour on it.

If you go 'off route' to fill up at a cheaper source you are likely to pay the difference in extra mileage.

I think Bob is spot on in describing what would be involved in collating this information, just more jobs for the boys.

Incidentally, I think he should have mentioned the phrase " hard working families" ( instead of 'real families') as that is incorporated into any political strategy these days, as that makes it easier to get the public to accept it.

;-)

Usinmyknaus - 2008-09-05 12:42 PM

Malc d

You're quite right, I was overwhelmed by the torrent of government rhetoric from which I could choose the apposite weasel words!

Bob :-D

I don't just attribute this annoying phrase to the government - any politicians trying to sound benevolent say they would " give help to HARD WORKING families".

How would they identify them from everyone else ? ;-) ;-)

malc d - 2008-09-05 4:30 PM

I don't just attribute this annoying phrase to the government - any politicians trying to sound benevolent say they would " give help to HARD WORKING families".

How would they identify them from everyone else ? ;-) ;-)

They're the ones they can continue to con into voting for them :D

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
I've been in France since April and today just found the cheapest diesel all year at €1.242 per litre at a Shopi supermarket in Aiguebelle in the Alps. What amazes me here is the close proximity of other garages selling it 10, 15, 20 cents dearer (?) Why go there?

Archived