Towing, over 70s

stantheman

I think that there was a thread relating to this topic but I'm afraid I can't find it.

I am coming up to 70 years old and, like most people, have all manner of categories on my licence, (A1, B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E).

My 'van is less than 3.5 tonne and my towed car greater than 750 kg. If I remember rightly, Mel E quite correctly said that category BE is required in order to comply with this combination (category B only if towed vehicle is less than 750 kg).

One of my questions is however, which of these groups, if any, are likely to be snatched away when I renew next year.

I note that new licence holders are required to take a test to upgrade from B to BE but presumably once you have this category, they won't take it away upon reaching the age of 70. I'm not worried about any of the other groups as I've sold my motorbike and don't contemplate buying another vehicle over 3500 kg!

My other question is what health checks are required. The only part of my anatomy that needs assistance is my eyes. Do I need to take an eye test and submit this when applying? I see that renewal is possible online but that would preclude the submission of any such document.

The Gov. website is helpful but there isn't much info on over 70s requirements.

Hi Mike

don't know about towing, but you will get a reminder from DVLA re renewal prior to becoming 70 (can't remember exactly how long before, as shall be coming up for the next renewa soon!!)

They will send you a form to complete, and you will have to send either a new photo or they will reuse the exsiting one . I think we sent the old licence back anywayl Decided the photo was better, as was a lot younger in it!! (femail vanity) The other half also kept old pic !

Pauline

I Stanthemam

Before you reach 70 you will be sent a renewal form. You should not require a medical, if you have not required one before. You will need a passport size photo, if you have not got a photo licence now. You should retain groups A. B. BE. With BE you can drive a vehicle up to 3.500 tonnes and tow a trailer up to the gross train weight of the vehicle. Group B you can only tow a trailer up to 750kg. with a vehicle weighing 3.500kg. Before sending your licence to DVLA make a photo copy to prove the groups you have, as it is not un-Known for them to get lost. I have heard of people having to take another test.

Your new licence will last for three years, your photo for ten I think.

Hi Mike,

When you reach 70 you will need to pass a medical to retain your right to drive over 3500kg and do so every three years.

If you fail the medical like me or don't bother as your van is 3500kg you will get groups B & BE and f k l n p what ever they are.

I advise you to renew your photo when you get to 70, I did not, I used the existing one and now I have to renew my license as the groups are valid but the photo is not. The renewals are free for the over 70's it just a bloody nuisance.

Don

Don,

A minor correction: whilst there is no renewal fee as such, the medical, if you elect to take it to retain anything other than B and BE will cost you. And Practices can charge what they like, though there is a guideline list of charges prepared, I think, by the BMA.

So it's only really free if you are a Doctor yourself!

Incidentally, these 3 yearly medicals will apply to ALL drivers wanting to retain C, C1, D and D1 (with E), regardless of age, under the new legislation passed by the European Parliament and due to become law in all EU Member States in early 2010.

Mel E

====

Don,

A minor correction: whilst there is no renewal fee as such, the medical, if you elect to take it to retain anything other than B and BE will cost you. And Practices can charge what they like, though there is a guideline list of charges prepared, I think, by the BMA.

So it's only really free if you are a Doctor yourself!

Incidentally, these 3 yearly medicals will apply to ALL drivers wanting to retain C, C1, D and D1 (with E), regardless of age, under the new legislation passed by the European Parliament and due to become law in all EU Member States in early 2010.

Mel E

====

• 3 weeks later...

Archived