CB radios

Guest Lee Boreham

Guest Lee Boreham
Has anyone got any ideas on where to mount an aerial on a coachbuilt ? Aluminium roof so no mag mount ! Any ideas. Anyone heading for Lochness for christmas ?

I had a short mag mount on the bonnet of my Fiat Ducatto with it slightly tilted forward so as not to touch the windscreen when the bonnet was up. It's a good idea to stick something like a GB sticker cut to slightly bigger than the magnet on first because it will rust the metal underneath if you dont.I did have mine on for a year but eventually took it off last week because nobody seems to use them these days.Only twice did I ever pick anyone up on it.

I remember one year in the early days of illegal AM CB radio when one of our club (Biscuit Town Breakers in Reading - over 1000 members) had a Reliant Regal van. He laid an old freezer door on the floor in the back and put a short mag mount on that. It worked and he never got "sussed" by Busby! Anyway, in your situation I would visit the local re-cycling centre and obtain a large sheet of stainless steel from some ex kitchen equipment. Drill a quarter hole on each side. Then using lots of number plate style double sided sticky pads affix this to the middle of the roof. From each bolt hole connect a length of wire that will reach to the front ,back and each side of the van and tape the wire down to the roof with gaffer tape. Plonk the mag mount on this. Alternatively, you could have done a bolted connection on the stainless plate first using countersunk screws on the underside of course. We have a sheet of aluminium clamped to the roof bars on the roof and the radio clutter mounts through that. Good luck

Guest roger s
There is the option of mounting on the door mirrors with a bracket, providing mirror mounts allow. I have seen them mounted by the front bumper. You could drill the wing and fit a DV type mount. I have fitted (not for CB)an antenna mount on my ladders at the back and run the coax under the van to come in by the passenger door step. With the method you need to check the SWR is ok, and if its a bit high run a wire from the antenna mount on the ladder and secure other end to the roof rack which will enlarge the ground plane. Another option if you have a towbar fitted is to mount on that. Last one I can think of is try and tune a marine (non ground plane) type antenna

Thanks for all the ideas. I think i may have to buy a short antenna and mount it on the mirror arm, at least it would get a goo earth. Re AM rig days, bring em back i say ! We all seem to wave at each other on the road but why is it if you have a CB we dont talk to each other ? Traffic reports [1013] and the like all up to date not like the radio or these new signs that say stupid things like 'FOG'. I'LL get of my high horse now . Cheers !

AM CB? Yeah, I had a chrome telescopic disguised twig on my 1962 Ford Thames Airbourne. It was like a regular radio ariel but twice as thick. Still, I never got caught! I got bold then and changed to a DV mount on the B-pillar. Still no agro! About the ground plane, I thought that the distance from the antenna centre point to the edge of the ground plane set the performance of transmission in that direction. So, having a twig mounted on the bumper means transmission forwards (or backwards for rear bumper) would be poor. Or is this not so? Regards Neal

Guest roger s
No your understanding is correct Neal its just with limitations (of suitable positions)on motorhomes you cant be choosey. In extending the ground plane I am not trying to improve distance in a forward/backward direction I am wanting to lower the swr without "going at the antenna" I dont have the same power limitations as CBers

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is mounted on the bull bar at the front of the van. It also indicates to the driver just where the front is too. As it slopes slightly forwards you can drive up to a wall so that it just touches and you're in. I have also in the past mounted them on bumpers, (front and rear) on the rear step, on the wing with a dv base and above the door using a 'gutter mount'. All with great success.

Archived