tag axle`s

jondiane

Hello appart from extra tyre wear,what are the down side to getting a tag axel motorhome v single or twin wheel of same lenght. would the ferry`s be more or is it just on lenght they charge you for,id like to stay around 8m.would there be a great difference on the toll`s in france spain and italy.dont what to go mad with weight around 4.5 ton all in.and im under 45 year`s.has anyone got some thought`s on this.

Dear Jon&Diane,

Well the most obvious one here is you will be tolled on the cross channel motorways as an HGV, not for the number of wheels but the number of axles. I have been interested in these Tags but after learning this I am looking more towards the four wheeled axle type per Ford and Merc with no compromise in weight carrying. Hymer 700, Hymer 680, Euromobil 866 come to mind.

Think about it.

Gordon.....

Have just travelled from Calais to St Tropez all on french toll roads. Every time charged as class 2, same as car and caravan and we have a tag axle Autotrail Cheyenne. As a matter of interest P&O ferries for an 8.5m vehicle was £67 return but was booked in January. Crossing at 10.05am and returning at 9.35am. Not out of hours crossing!!.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi you pay the same as a four wheel motorhome on the French and Spanish motorways, also in Morocco with your tag axel,but if you have a two axel van with double wheels at the rear that are side by side you pay more even though it is only 3.5 gross weight it will still cost you more than your 4.5t gross tag axel at the tolls, and most of the crossings dont charge anymore for the extra lenth, i tow a car and the French and Spanish dont charge extra toll for the car but they do in Morocco if towed on an Aframe but not if the car is on a trailer

A pedantic observation...

No motorhome fitted with an Al-Ko chassis with two tandem rear axles has a 'tag axle' configuration. Although the expression has slipped into common usage by motorhome owners, dealers, manufacturers, etc. it's nonetheless incorrect. For details on axles and axle layouts see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle

It's quite possible that larger US RVs have a 'tag' rear axle, but the only European-built motorhomes I can think of that might legitimately be termed 'tag axle' are the 6-wheeler Starcraft (and that was a kit) and (perhaps) twin rear-axle Mercedes-based models (Hymer 700, etc.) produced 20 years or more ago.

As far as I'm aware, a motorhome's number of axles will not affect ferry prices - just the vehicle's length and height will be significant, but (in principle at least) French autoroute tolls for a motorhome with 3 axles SHOULD be Class 4 rather than Class 2.

As people have been mentioning the toll costs for tag axle's in France, I just thought I'd mention that if you use the Austrian motorways and are over 3.5 tons (vaignette necessary for upto 3.5tons) you have to buy a 'go-box' as used by the trucks for the automatic paying of the toll charge as you drive along. This is set up dependiing on the number of axles on your vehicle so the more axles the larger the charge on the motorway.

Archived