Bridge/Tunnel Clearance

mike 202

If a bridge or tunnel shows a height clearance of say 10 feet, does that mean my 10 foot motorhome will hit the bridge or is there an allowance for vehicle vertical movement (Suspension bounce)and the actual bridge height above the road is say 11 feet. Also are their different rules for UK and Europe (France, Spain, Italy EU countries)

Many thanks Mike

Off to France and Spain in two weeks. :-D .

My understanding of this is that the height stated on a warning sign is the height from the centre of the carriageway to the centre of the bridge/arch. As far as I know there is no account taken for suspension bounce, over inflated tyres etc.

You also need to be aware that the height stated in your vans' info may not include any equipment on the roof, including ariels.

If I was you I would avoid anything that even comes close to the height of the van. I usually allow half a metre difference just to be safe.

If you have a Tom tom Sat nav (don't know about other makes) you can download POI's (points of interest) that show all low bridges on your route (you can even set a minimum height, I chose 11' to be safe) you can also add an alarm to warn you at a safe distance before you reach it.

It has certainly helped me on many occasions,now all I need is one that warns of 'narrow' roads. :D :D

Hi ALL, some of the 'old' rounded brick or stone railway bridges have two arrows. The height shown on the sign is the actual height from the road between these two arrows at the time when the measurements were taken. If the distance between tha arrows is small there will be a notice saying "Beware of vehicles appoaching in the middle of the road".

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

after seeing an increasing number of accidents involving motorhome roof damage caused by low barriers / bridges / car parks etc we have produced some free stickers which can be placed on your fold down sun visor and filled in with your motorhomes height, width and length in both imperial and metric units.

You can get a sticker sent out to you completely free of charge, and with free postage here

Guest Tracker
With no option shown to let you opt out of junk mailings emails and phone calls and even third party junk mail emails and phone calls this offer is nothing more than a cheap way for Caravanguard to build up a saleable database of gullible people and should in my humble view be boycotted by anyone who hates junk mail unsolicited phone calls and spam emails.

Guest Tracker
Yes Mel - quite so - and we have - and it works - but if you give anyone your details and invite them to send you crud, and then they do send you crud it is not classed as junk mail 'cos you asked for it!

Tracker

Don't get mad get even, I love it when they send me junk mail especialy if they include a reply paid envelope, I cram all their literature into the envelope and post it back to them with a little note inside asking them to dispose of their junk mail in an environmentally fashion, they then have to pay the cost of postage to get rid of their own literature ! even better if they provide a self addressed envelope that is not pre paid, I send that back to them without a stamp on it, don't get them sending junk mail to me again.

Regards

Phil

Now you see all you idiots are getting off thread the question was about bridge heights/clearance not caravan guard touting for business, as a reply to the question if you do happen to strike a bridge the police can prosecute for driving without due care and attention as many a truck driver has found out to his cost.....Having been a professional truck driver since 1978 and never struck a bridge preparation and planning is the key plan the route in advance or failing that buy the truckers atlas

You don't need the brain of a rocket scientist to not strike a bridge...look at the height warning sign if your not sure DON'T go through

:$ :$

Bryan.gif.fb071af1b1b6df41b7dc9c6b729a20f8.gif

Caravan Guard would like to make clear that WE DO NOT PASS YOUR DETAILS ON TO THIRD PARTIES.

The wording on the web page reads as follows:

We will post your sticker to you and keep you informed of Caravan Guard's discounts, promotions, products and services and also those of relevant third parties, by telephone, post or email. By clicking 'submit’ you are agreeing to these terms.

By filling in your details at www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorhomesticker

and requesting a sticker you accept that WE may contact you with offers from us or third parties.

What this means is that Caravan Guard may send you an offer regarding a promotion between ourselves and a third party (such as an accessories company etc). However, we NEVER pass details of our prospective, current or past customers to ANY third parties.

I hope that this has clarified the matter and want to say thank you for everyones comments and feedback.

At risk of abuse for stating the obvious - a sticky label or 2 with height, weight, etc on it can be stuck anywhere. It's free and doesn't come with any chance of junk mail etc.

A point about the Mail Preference Service - registration is for 5 years. After that you have to renew.

Telephone Preference Services doesn't seem to have any expiry. However, TPS cannot stop the computerised calls or those from overseas. It seems that no-one can.

;-)

Guest Tracker
mondo - 2009-03-15 3:26 PM

Now you see all you idiots are getting off thread

Why do you feel the need to be offensive just because you don't like something?

By being offensive you lose credibility.

Archived