campervan valuation - can anyone help?

slewis1972

Hi All

I have seen a 1993 Frankia Mobil 540 campervan locally, and there is the chance I could buy it. From what I can find out - its clean inside, 49K miles on the clock and its a 2.5TD Fiat chassis - left hand drive.

Bad points - no MOT and TAX for atleast 3 years. I wouls say fair > good condition overall. It does run and tyres are all pumped up with a good level of tread.

Anyway - I am trying to find out a ball point price such as trade price so when I start the enquiries, I have a figure in my head.

Interior desigh looks perfect for small family.

Does anyone know or have some cost books that could kindly give me a rough figure?

Thanks

Scott

Scott

1) Look in the back of MMM, they run a column on second-hand values and this should give you a guide.

2) Have a look round the web at the dealers who advertise vans and see what they are offering. You could do worse than use Google with:

1993 Frankia Mobil 540

as the search terms, for example:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/classads/forsale/dec06.asp

is showing such a vehicle for £7250

Michael

Guest Tracker

My inclination would be to book an MOT first, in a garage you either know or where you can be present at the test and chat to the tester.

Drive the van to the test yourself (which you can legally do as long as you can prove that you have a specific appointment)(and as long as you have insurance - your own car policy will suffice as long as it covers driving other cars).

Then and only then would I discuss price depending on the work needed, the way it drives, and the mechanics verdict on the underneath and the oily bits that you can't see from above.

Tracker - 2008-09-09 8:42 PM

My inclination would be to book an MOT first, in a garage you either know or where you can be present at the test and chat to the tester.

Drive the van to the test yourself (which you can legally do as long as you can prove that you have a specific appointment)(and as long as you have insurance - your own car policy will suffice as long as it covers driving other cars).

Check your insurance policy carefully as this "other vehicle cover" usually only applies to a vehicle that is insured.

davenewell@home - 2008-09-10 7:03 AM

Tracker - 2008-09-09 8:42 PM

- your own car policy will suffice as long as it covers driving other cars).

Check your insurance policy carefully as this "other vehicle cover" usually only applies to a vehicle that is insured.

WATCH THIS CAREFULLY - until recently it used to be standard for certificates to say "The Insured may also drive a motor vehicle which is not his property, and not hired to him under a Hire Purchase agreement" or words to that effect, and the policy document would make clear that only third party cover would apply in that situation. I don't remember it saying the other vehicle had to be insured by its owner.

However, neither of my current policies (van or mini, different companies) have this provision on the certificate at all, so I'm no longer covered automatically to drive other vehicles. Not a problem for me, but may be for some who rely on that provision for (eg) family members.

I suspect the Govt persuaded the insurers to drop this, as it used to mean cars could be driven legally without being on the insurance database. (Of course, they'd still have to be insured sometimes, to get a tax disc!)

But I also think the insurers wouldn't need much persuading to reduce this open-ended cover! I knew of one "boy racer" who owned a hot hatch, registered it as his mum's, bought a cheap-to-run banger, then used the the banger's insurance to drive the hatchback, which he only insured for a couple of weeks each year to get a tax disc. If that was common, I'm not surprised the insurers were happy to stop doing this!

So - unless your insurers are still explicitly giving "any vehicle" cover, phone them for temporary provision before you take a test drive! That should also give you a chance to ask what they'd charge to insure the proposed van permanently!

Tony

A 'van that's not been driven for 3 years+? I wouldn't touch it with a very long pole! No engine likes being left alone like that and diesels are no different.

The fact that it drives right now doesn't mean you aren't in for a whole lot of trouble in the future. And it would be very surprising if tyres that have been in the same position for 3 years+ haven't flat spotted, with the bracing going out of shape.

Dave could give you a more experienced view, but there are plenty of other motorhomes for sale.

Mel E

====

I agree with Mel, leave it alone. I have imported cars from Japan that have done very few miles but typically have been standing at least six months without being driven. They always have issues with various seals, brakes, engine, gearbox etc. Any rotating shaft does not like being left in one position and will cause seal problems. Brake seals will seize up and tyres will degrad. If you have access to workshop, as i had, not a massive problem but if not real trouble and expense for first few months while you sort it all out. The insurance thing, even if you are cover third party to drive another car that car still has to be insured in its 'own right'.

The tyres will almost certainly need replacing all round. Even with adequate tread they will have degraded over that period of time.

As already said, vehicles do not like to stand around for that long - they thrive on being used.

I for one would not touch it.

Archived