SWIFT SUNDANCE ELECTRICAL CLICK FROM DASH!!

BILL THACKER

HI FIRST TIME ON FORUM, MY 2006 ( OLD SHAPE) SWIFT SUNDANCE 590 RL, HAS A ANNOYING HABIT OF MAKING A SOUND SIMILAR TO A HT CRACK?

FROM THE DASH , IT APPEARS TO COME FROM THE R/ HAND CORNER, NOT SURE IF IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH A RELAY FOR CHARGING THE LEISURE BATTERY?, AS I HAVE JUST REPLACED THE LEISURE BATTERY, AND IT DOSENT SEEM TO DO IT AS OFTEN AS IT USED TO!. HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD SAME THING?, EVERY THING WORKS FINE ELECTRICALLY ( UP TO NOW ), ANY HELP GREATLY APRECIATED, CHEERS, BILL.

Hi and welcome to the Forums.

You have not said when or how often this happens.

Is it say when the vehicle is cooling down, and is something maybe contracting and making a cracking sound. Or is it when driving and something is being stressed and moves.

There is a relay in behind center area of dash that clicks off after about 10 to 20 minutes of stopping or opening a door. It is do with switching off the interior light and auxilary powerd items I believe.

More seriously though the noise you describe like an electrical discharge is the sort of noise a windscreen can make when it beginning to debond from its sealant. Easy checked - just press the windscreen outwards around the edge and see if noise is there or any movement. Also check the quarter light glass in the door rubber seal.

Really need more info as to when it happens though, heater on or not, wet weater, cold weather, when driving slow, fast etc.

Jon.

edit - corrected typos. Must try and increase font size so I can read better when typing!

HI BRAMBLES, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, I AM SORRY TO BE A BIT VAGUE,THE CLICK/CRACK ONLY HAPPENS WHEN DRIVING BUT STOPS WHEN CRUSING,IT HAPPENS IN THE LOWER GEARS SOMETIMES 2-3 CLICS AT A TIME SOMETIMES JUST 1 !, NOT SURE RE WINDSCREEN NOISE AS IT WAS 80% BETTER AFTER FITTING NEW LEISURE BATT, WENT 200 MILES TO SOUTH WALES WITHOUT A SOUND THEN ON A ROADS / ROUNDABOUTS THE LITTLE BUGGER STARTED THE ODD CLICK!. VERY IRRITATING. HAVE TRIED SWITCHING LIGHTS /HEATER / RADIO ETC ON THAT DOSENT SEEM TO AFFECT IT. HAVE LOOKED UNDER BONNET ETC FOR THE CHARGING RELAY BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND IT, NOT SURE WHERE TO LOOK FOR IT, CHEERS BILL.

HI BRAMBLES, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY, I AM SORRY TO BE A BIT VAGUE,THE CLICK/CRACK ONLY HAPPENS WHEN DRIVING BUT STOPS WHEN CRUSING,IT HAPPENS IN THE LOWER GEARS SOMETIMES 2-3 CLICS AT A TIME SOMETIMES JUST 1 !, NOT SURE RE WINDSCREEN NOISE AS IT WAS 80% BETTER AFTER FITTING NEW LEISURE BATT, WENT 200 MILES TO SOUTH WALES WITHOUT A SOUND THEN ON A ROADS / ROUNDABOUTS THE LITTLE BUGGER STARTED THE ODD CLICK!. VERY IRRITATING. HAVE TRIED SWITCHING LIGHTS /HEATER / RADIO ETC ON THAT DOSENT SEEM TO AFFECT IT. HAVE LOOKED UNDER BONNET ETC FOR THE CHARGING RELAY BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND IT, NOT SURE WHERE TO LOOK FOR IT, CHEERS BILL.

Hi again Bill,

Sounds like it is related to the Charging cct for Liesure battery and vibration, but all the relays for this are in the control unit in rear habitation area, so cannot help thinking it is better with replacement of liesure battery is a red herring.

You say right hand side, I presume you mean offside, so may be something around the battery area in Engine compartment. Possibly Sundance wire up a split charge relay in this area.

Hopefuly someone else will come alomg with ideas.

Jon

p.s. Caps lock on is regarded as shouting in Forums.

Archived