* * * FIRE CLOSES EUROTUNNEL * * *

Way2Go

Hi I was actually at the tunnel in Calais when the fire took place, My only comment is to the fact that the information centre at the Tunnel were telling us that it was only a small fire had been put out in an hour and no one was injured but were not able to tell us when we could board. this was in fact far from the truth as we all now know. We spent the night in the pets check carpark until about 5-30am when eventually being completely brassed off we approached the staff and was told that the tunnel was closed for at least the next 24 hours and that we would have to travel by Ferry, they provided us with P&O Tickets and we finally boarded at 8-00am and had a smooth crossing and a good, though not cheap, breakfast

On the positive side whilst on the car park at the ferry terminal we were entertained by the news crews and their satelite vans, we even offered them cups of tea and the loan of an electrical adaptor they were short of.

Even they did not know the real situation until well after midnight.

I will still travel by the tunnel as long as I can afford purely because of the convenience and the fact that we can stay with our two dogs (Labradors) during the crossing.

I have to say though that I was impressed by the speed and efficiency of the P&O Line in loading us some 15 mins after arrival.

Roll on next year when we can do it all over again.

We were on the long drive home from Tuscany on Friday when a friend texted us to say about the tunnel being closed. After a telephone call we were told to report to the car ferries terminal where Eurotunnel staff would meet us and arrange for us to catch a ferry within 24 hours of our original booking.

We decided to drive through the night to get to the ferry terminal early on Saturday morning where we were told to report to the Eurotunnel terminal to obtain a voucher before we could travel on the ferry. No problems obtaining voucher, back to the ferry and Seafrance put us on the next available ferry - at 8.30 a.m. We were home in Southampton by 12.30 BST and very impressed by the efficiency of the whole thing, especially as we had been booked on the 1.40 am train for Sunday 14th. (lol)

We were shocked to see over 6 miles of literally nose to tail lorries on both the hard shoulder and the fast lane of the motorway leading to Dover - our hearts went out to the lory drivers. We were also surprised to hear on the news and read in Saturday papers that some services were already running in the tunnel, as it was very definitely shut on Saturday morning. :-S

Hi all

Angie and I were also booked on a return on the train for Sunday morning. We knew nothing about the fire until around 7 (French time) on Sunday morning when checking out the weather in the UK. Our only complaint was that when we phoned the help line we were informed by recorded message that the tunnel was not in operation and to phone another number, on dialing this number we were informed, again a recorded message, that the office was closed until 9 am (English time) and to call the help line. We decided to turn up on time anyway and see what happened. When we arrived at the terminal we drove straight to a booth where the nice lady told us that there was to be a train every 2 hours and that we were to late to board the 10:03 would we like to take a ferry or wait for the train. We said that we would be happy to wait, on trying to book us on it appears that there was no space for the MH with trailor so we were given a voucher for the 11:00 Sea France crossing. Off we went to the docks, sat in the queue and finaly boarded about 11:00, the boat leaving roughly 20 mins late. Although the car decks seemed full the boat itself was pretty quiet an the journey very pleasent. We missed the tail backs on the M20 as I decided that as all the traffic leaving Dover was headed towards it I would turn left out of the gates and take the hill up onto the old road and meet up with the M2, join the M25 just before the Dartyford Crossing and round to the M11 and home. The Journey took 1 hour 45 minutes and we were at home base by 2:15. This was 2 hours 15 minutes behind our original schedule when working out our return journy for booking times as we were to attend a function that afternoon at 3, this however was not a problem as the function was cancelled before we left for our trip.

Sorry but that was a lot of waffle to say that the channel tunnel staff on the ground on Sunday did all they could to help and make our journey as plesent and delay free as possible. I can not say the same for whoever put the phone information service together thiugh.

Geof

Clive - 2008-09-14 12:01 AM

The biggest thing we did right was to aproach the ferry terminal from town and not the motorway as the signs would direct you.

We've discovered this trick too, even in "normal" times. For the last few years UK Immigration checks at Calais have resulted in huge queues from the motorway, but if you come in from the town you jump most of it and only have to wait a few minutes.

It suits us to come in that way anyway. Since we're usually returning from a long-ish trip we arrive at Calais good and early, having allowed plenty of margin for hold-ups on the final day. So we tend to go into town for a meal, or even (weather permitting) a final sit on the beach - while all the motorway enthusiasts are sitting in the queue. Then just before check-in time we mosey along from the town side and straight up to what's often an empty line at the RH booth. We're on holiday for goodness sake. If we want to sit in a traffic queue we can stay on the M25!

Tony

Archived