Getting level for the fridge to work (90's E/lux RM400)

Guest Merlin1

I started a thread ages ago about a fridge problem that I had - but because I think I have now pin pointed the problem, I wonder if someone here can give me further advice.

The fridge I have is an Electrolux RM 400, possibly a 4236 model. It has been checked over by a dealer, bench tested to make sure it works on 12V, 240V and gas and it did ! It works in the dealers compound - perfectly ! But what a pain on site !!!! Sometimes it works on gas, sometimes it only works on Electric ! I'm told the van has to be dead level which is pretty much impossible on grassy site. On one occasion, I spent about 40 mins messing about with putting blocks under the wheels, checking the spirit level and yes, it was fine, but then the next time, I did the same, put it on Electric, it wkd for a few hours then nothing. But was ok again on gas !

I remember back in the 90's there was a lot of talk about getting level for a fridge to work - would this apply to my fridge ? How was the problem overcome ?

Electrolux (Dometic) say that it could be a faulty cooling unit or heater element but the fact remains it works fine at the dealers ! They tell me the fridge that replaced my one is an RM 4230. Does anyone have this model and is it tilt tollerent ?

We have a Dometic RM4230 in our van and, yes, it is tilt tolerant. I don't know how it would be with an extreme slope but we don't bother about being absolutely level, just more or less - and we find it works OK on both gas and electric.

Graham

Archived