campsites in spain

trickydicky

hi, we have just become the proud owners of a motorhome and are thinking of travelling to spain (costa del sol) in january for a couple of months,to escape the awful english weather.it's a bit daunting for us though, as we haven't a clue where we will park, or how much it will cost. we would appreciate ANY advice, details of campsites, etc.

regarsds, carol

We are off there in a few days, January can be cooler and wet, but still a lot warmer than here!

A lot of camp sites are not open so check first, the information in some books is not very accurate, best to email them or phone, most will speak some English.

www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

Have books with many "wild" "free" or simply parking places, you will find many Brits over there for the winter free camping in large numbers.

Most places by the seaside don't mind if you park up for a night or two, particularly in the winter as it is a bit quiet for the bars and other touristy businesses, I try to use a local place if I use the free car park, it's only fair?

There are some places where you might be asked to move, but to be honest I have never been asked to move in the winter.

Camp sites, like everywhere, vary in cost and standards, I always look around BEFORE booking in. Prices are higher in general than say, France. Get an ACSI card (From most camping clubs) and pay less than 14 Euro a night.

Be security aware, there are some problems with non Spanish people, mainly in and around the large cities, lock your doors EVERY time time you leave your m/h, don't leave anything that might be considered valuable on display, fit a safe, only carry what you need for the trip out.

There is so much more I could go on for hours! Ask if there is anything specific, there are lots of people on here who have the answers.

Enjoy your holiday.

Geoff

The campsites on the Costa Del Sol are a pretty poor lot I'm afraid. The three main ones are known locally as Death by Fire, Death by Water, and just Death! When in that area (meeting up with friends, etc) we now take to an apartment even though we have the van with us.

If you really must go then 'Marbella Playa' (approx 6mls East on the N340) is probably the 'best'. Next is 'Cabopino' (approx 8miles East, same road). Not much of a site but has a very good restaurant attached to it and Cabopino Marina and beach is just across the road.

Carol

The 'East' I was referring to are from Marbella, sorry.

I think that my answer might have been a bit downbeat and was not meant to represent Spain as a whole, just the spot you happened to choose. It's just that the money in the area certainly hasn't been spent on the campsites.

For what its worth, If your not dead set on Marbella our favorite campsites for a long winter stay in southern Spain would be;

'International La Marina', La Marina, (just south of Alicante).

'Los Madriles', Isla-Plana (Nr Cartagena) Murcia.

'La Rosaleda', Conil De La Frontera, (just south of Cadiz).

The winter temperatures in Almeria and Mercia are approx the same as in the far south but the climate overall is more constant.

Just food for thought.

Ron

thanks all for your replies.very helpful. we have chosen to go to the "costa del sol", purely because we thought it might be the warmest in winter. we will certainly try "la rosal eda".a few people have said that we can park on the seafront sometimes, but we are worried about being vulnerable to louts etc. carol.

Archived