Leper/Ypres in December (Michele?)

Way2Go

We're contemplating staying at Leper/Ypres in December on our way back from Germany.  I've found Camping Jeugdstadion Ieper (http://www.jeugdstadion.be/index_english.htm) which is apparently only 5 minutes from the Menin Gate.  It doesn't say whether its open all year but I'm sure Michele has been there?

Not sure whether there's an Aire in the area or not but the site sounds OK.

Anyone have any information on the area / camping facilities / hints and tips ref visiting in late December?

kind regards

W2G

According to my Alan Rogers guide for 2007 that site was open March to end of October LAST year. Unlikely to be much different this year I would think.

I stayed there a couple of years ago - quite a nice little site. To enter at that time you had to round to the 'back' of the site through an industrial estate.

:-|

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2008-09-14 5:16 PM

Thanks for the advice Malc.  I think I'll email them to get confirmation then.

Looks like it might be the Aire at Brugge then.

W2G

Brugge is such a lovely place to stop, either a very nice walk into the centre or a short walk to station and catch one of the frequent buses.

Ah Ha but there is a little place apparently you can park for free at Ypres .

Ok sorry just seen the thread and hubby has gone off to Straford on Avon to take our son back to college .

I will have a word and post as soon as possible.

Meanwhile is this any good

CAMPING - KEMMEL

Large camp site close to Kemmel village. It has its own shop and bar, and a children's swimming pool open in the summer months. The main site is open all year round, and is ideally situated for touring the Ypres Salient battlefields. For prices and further information contact:

Camping Ypra

Dingelaerestraat 2

8956 Kemmel - Heuvelland

Belgium

Tel: 0032 57 44 46 31

Fax: 0032 57 44 48 81

Email: camping.ypra@skynet.be

Web: http://www.camping-ypra.be/

Hi W2G,

I've got just the place for you - all the whereabout details and costs are on the attached map. We have stayed on this little private aire's a good few times now, it's useful for Ypres a few mins drive away, and you can park free all along Leopold lll Laan a few mins walk from the Menin Gate. Leopold lll Laan is a wideish two carrageway road with large white continuous lined parking area all the way up the street on the right hand side. Driving into Ypres centre is permitted with a MH, but you might find it a bit busy and there is a charge for parking in the carpark square if you can find a vacant spot.

When you reach the aire at Geluveld, just drive in and make yourself at home, on the left past their house on the right, you will see a hardstanding, grass, picnic table and brickbuilt outhouse with all service facilities on the wall, park anywhere - grass or hardstanding. The owner works as a driver on JCB type vehicles and will get home around 5pm, he does speak some english, but his 8 -10 yr old daughter has a better command of english.

Regards Terry

777183267_Geluveld(513x261).jpg.870e6526f089020463ebe3cd4100c4ee.jpg

There is an Aire about 4/5 miles from Ypres with hard standing and lecky (euro plug required)

ASV BELGIQUE GELUVELD Oude Kortrijkstraat 978980 Geluveld (Zonnebeke)situé à moins de 2 km de Bellewaerde (parc d'attraction)

50.84536, 2.96848

Above are the details plus satnav co-ords.

Hope this is of use.

Pete

PS It was €4 when we were last there 18 months ago.

terrytraveller just beat me to it.

You guys . . . . many, many thanks for the information - it's invaluable.

Terry, Pete, thank you for the bang on suggestions and GPS stuff ;-)

'chele hope you had a good break and thanks for the camp site details.  I was sure you'd been there recently.

W2G

Terrytraveller - 2008-09-14 10:11 PM Hi W2G, I've got just the place for you - all the whereabout details and costs are on the attached map. We have stayed on this little private aire's a good few times now, it's useful for Ypres a few mins drive away, and you can park free all along Leopold lll Laan a few mins walk from the Menin Gate. Leopold lll Laan is a wideish two carrageway road with large white continuous lined parking area all the way up the street on the right hand side. Driving into Ypres centre is permitted with a MH, but you might find it a bit busy and there is a charge for parking in the carpark square if you can find a vacant spot. When you reach the aire at Geluveld, just drive in and make yourself at home, on the left past their house on the right, you will see a hardstanding, grass, picnic table and brickbuilt outhouse with all service facilities on the wall, park anywhere - grass or hardstanding. The owner works as a driver on JCB type vehicles and will get home around 5pm, he does speak some english, but his 8 -10 yr old daughter has a better command of english. Regards Terry

Hi Terry,  we'll probably not get to the Aire until 8pm or 9pm so do you think there will be plenty of places to park?  Do you know how many vehicles can park at the site?  If it's only a few we might need a Plan B :-)

W2G

Barry sorry to leave it so long thought you were going with Terrys one but as a plan B this is where hubby stayed with the lads .

Good Luck he said it was fine.

A camping site is available in the "JEUGDSTADION IEPER". From 1993 on Ieper has its own camping site. Below you find their tariffs. The duration of your stay is limited to 1 week. A couple of bivouac huts up to 4 persons per hut are available too. The stay is limited to 3 nights.

If you want to do some sightseeing outside Ieper, you can rent a bike there. The camping site is situated behind the sports- and recreation grounds , and you get there via "Wonderbos" (K. Steverlyncklaan). Facilities: electricity, flush toilets, showers and water. The address is: Leopold III-laan 16, B-8900 Ieper. If you want to know their prices and when to check in, contact them at phone ++32(0)57/21.72.82 or fax ++32(0)57/21.61.21 during the office hours from 09h a.m. until 17h p.m. BELGIAN TIME. You can also mail them at info@jeugdstadion.be

T

*) 3 Euro per person per day (1,50 Euro for children between 6 and 12 years old).

*) 1,50 Euro per tent per day.

*) 1 Euro per dog per day (yes, really! ).

*) caravan: 4,50 Euro per day + 0,15 Euro per Kwh consumption of electricity.

*) huts for travellers: 30 Euro per day.

*) rent set of pans: 3 Euro per day.

*) rent bicycle: single bicycle 5 Euro per day // tandem 10 Euro per day // child's seat for free.

*) shower: Free, BUT 25 Euro guarantee for the badge of the gate and showers.

*) petanque: 1,50 Euro per hour.

*) minigolf: 1,50 Euro (14 years old and more) // 1 Euro (less than 14 years old) // 15 Euro (groups).

http://www.jeugdstadion.be/info_english.htm

Oh Gawd if I had brains I would be lethal barry apparently its the one you found in the first post .

Anyway Hubby went in Nov and dec with the lads apparently its an all year rounder might pay to give them a call jsut incase its changed .

Maybe a quick e mail you just never know but its quite a nice little place and easy walking by all accounts .

Enjoy anyway

Way2Go - 2008-09-14 3:27 PM

We're contemplating staying at Leper/Ypres in December on our way back from Germany.  I've found Camping Jeugdstadion Ieper (http://www.jeugdstadion.be/index_english.htm) which is apparently only 5 minutes from the Menin Gate.  It doesn't say whether its open all year but I'm sure Michele has been there?

Not sure whether there's an Aire in the area or not but the site sounds OK.

Anyone have any information on the area / camping facilities / hints and tips ref visiting in late December?

kind regards

W2G

we camped on the road side out side this site about five years ago in October, without any problems.Pete

michele - 2008-09-22 3:25 PM Oh Gawd if I had brains I would be lethal barry apparently its the one you found in the first post . Anyway Hubby went in Nov and dec with the lads apparently its an all year rounder might pay to give them a call jsut incase its changed . Maybe a quick e mail you just never know but its quite a nice little place and easy walking by all accounts . Enjoy anyway

Hi Michele, this was the place I was trying to get into but I'm sure I read somewhere that it was closed in December?

Anywho, I've emailed them a booking so fingers crossed ;-)

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi W2G,

I don't think there are restrictions as there are in UK with CL's and there would be room for at least 10 MH's depending how they park, there were several electical points probably sharing the same supply! my guess is you will find room to park if not on the hardstanding, you will be able to park on the grass which is quite firm.

As you turn into the road where the site is located, look for a rectangular piece of painted plywood sign with a MH icon painted on it, it will be on your right, the drive and largish house are behind tallish hedges, on the left side of the road there are some bungalows.

I have seen MH's park up for the night on the road leading towards the Menin Gate on Leopold lll Laan (plan B?), the carriageway is wide with a continuous extra wide parking on the right towards the Menin Gate as previously advised.

You might find the owner will show you some live WW1 shells just a short walk away from the CL, the farmer adjacent ploughs them up regularly apparently, I always sleep with cotton wool in my ears when I park up there for the night - just in case :-)

Regards Terry

960471443_PICT0019(300x225).jpg.c2305f48fc011396bbb9aa2a7e250cc2.jpg

1636805620_PICT0020(300x225).jpg.d2d6b87b8004466117643a9f24ec6f46.jpg

1551930475_PICT0021(300x225).jpg.1104c0254e265cad46f6c76df2f93ea4.jpg

There's stacks of free parking in Ypres if you don't mind a bit of a walk. For a van up to about 16 feet you can get in the spaces near the football ground (3 mins from the square) - just ask anyone for the prison and you're about 200 metres away. For a whole day free stay for any length of van there's Poperingseweg (which surprisingly enough is the road out to Poperinge). There are marked parking areas for long lengths of the road. An event not to miss next year is the Cats' Festival (first Sunday in May I think) - highly recommended. And by the way it isn't Leper (which sounds like a nasty disease), it's Ieper (our twin town).

Wills Wagon - 2008-10-01 1:20 PM

Just been to Jeugdstadion and it closes 12 November 2008. Good site small and brilliant for the town. No MVWP though.

Oh dear seems like a few places like this are bringing it forwrd each year perhaps they are not getting the business.

Way2Go how about Brugge not much help I know ...only an hour down the road ..oh dear sorry

Not to worry Michele.  Current plans are as follows:-

Day 1: Collect Mrs Way2Go from work en route to Eurotunnel and will stop at Brugge Aire overnight.

Day 2: After brekkie travel into Germany and arrive at family midday.  Afternoon hanging out with grandchildren.  Evening at the local Christmas Market.

Day 3: After brunch we'll travel to Aachen and stop at the Aire overnight (probably catch the bus into town) visiting the Christmas Market PM.

Day 4: Head to Eurotunnel Aire and will call into Ieper/Ypres on the way for a look around.  Once at Eurotunnel Aire we'll do some shopping at Cite Europe for meat and cheeses and last minute Christmassy stuff etc

Day 5: Early Shuttle then home.

The nice thing about motorhoming is that you can be flexible!

Our original plan would have been to turn up at Terry's suggestion at about 9:30 - 10PM which is a bit late as we would need to see the owner.  Different if it had a barrier as you could turn up at anytime.

We will check out Terry's suggestion in the future though as long as the owner is the one handling the discovered ordnance :-)

Thanks for all the updates.  It's very much appreciated.

W2G

Archived