Sea Otters in Scotland

Sparky7

I was in Exmoor last week staying at the Exmoor House Caravan Club site.

During a trip to Lynmouth I spotted an otter fishing in the river in the centre of the town ! He drew quite a crowd, but didn't seem at all shy.

The blighter wouldn't stay still long enough to enable me to get a photograph. I was hoping it would catch something so I could snap him.

As I have a digital camera theres a slight delay when the button is pressed. Having only just downloaded the photographs and studied them carefully, I've got the river, but no otter. So, you'll have to take my word for it !!

Hi, I was reading up on Google about Tarka the Otter, The author of the book, wrote it in North Devon, Apparently it is the symbol of Barnstaple,

They are lovely playful creatures, such a pity you weren't able to get a Photo of it, There is a Tarka trail.around Bideford / Westward Ho area,

never been there , I would imagine very interesting, Ria.

saw 'river' otters at Killin caravan club site this year, took my wife by suprise so much that she waved at it....(it didn't wave back). Then to the Isle of Mull, Craignure site, right near the Oban ferry terminal, saw Sea Otters nearly every day, feeding(eating a crab on the rocks) ,swimming with young cubs, seemingly unaware of all the human activity going on.

Unforgettable ! Good luck. :D :D

We saw otters at the loch greshornish campsite in Skye...they have a wonderful lochside walk whereif you are lucky you will see them...only thing take a camera and some bionoculars..as we didnt and the otter swam along the lochside watching us!!!!

Also you may be lucky and spot some eagles as well as the local sheep derby!!!

Pedantic reply below ;-)

We have seen otters in the sea at Mull and Harris, you can also see otters along quite a few rivers/streams nowadays, not exactly common but they are about.

Sea otters are bigger and found in pacific, we have seen these in Canada

Cannot stand Otters, neither Seals, and especially Mink! They all eat the food I try to catch for my family.

There's far too many of them around, the trouble is people try to humanise them like they do with dogs!

Thank goodness they don't invade camp sites.

LB

Archived