Status antenas

4petedaniel

I have purchased a used camper with a status s315 antena . will it work on digital or only on analog and what more do I need to get it working other than my TV? As I am not geting any thing at the moment. I have tried my digi box from my last camper, no signal message on the screen.

will it work with a free view box, or am I going to have to get someting else.? Petedaniel

These 'omni' directional aerials are not much good at receiving analog tv signals,so, for digital unless you are next door to a transmitter they are U/S. at least with analog you can watch 'through the snow' with Digital you get nothing. time to get a New aerial (you won't be alone,after the switch-off everyone in caravans/Mh's will be getting them) or be watching DVD's. :D :D

Pete,

I'm a bit confused. You say you've tried your digibox from your last m'home and can't get a signal. Most people understand the term 'digibox' to refer to a satellite receiver and you certainly won't get anything from a Status aerial which is terrestrial analogue only.

If your box is actually a Freeview box (terrestrial digital), then if you're not getting a signal it's almost certainly because the Status isn't up to it where you are located. To get a good enough signal for Freeview you need a unidirectional aerial (a smaller version of what's on your chimney) pointed in the right direction. Even then, digital signals are variable. They will improve once switch-over is complete and there is enough spare bandwisth to increase the signal strength. Until then, it's either a satellite dish or a camp site with built in aerial sockets or a good reception area.

Mel E

====

Is there an aerial amplifier (little white box with an in and an out aerial lead and a 12v supply) and if so does the little red light glow when you switch it on?

Can you try it on an analogue TV to see if you get a picture as you should be able to if you can get a signal indoors at home?

Do you get a decent unamplified digital freeview TV signal at home because if you don't you sure won't get it in the van.

Hi Pete- Your Status 315 will pick up digital freeview signals providing you are in a good reception area. My tv at the moment is an analoge reciever so have been testing it through a spare 240v freeview box. Recieved quality pictures but do live in a strong signal area. Remember when anologe is closed down the signal strengh will be increased to help locations around the U.K. My choice now is to perhaps purchase a 12v freeview box as we do not use hook up much exept in the colder weather. We always use the booster box when switched on. Hope this helps. chas

Thanks for the information . I am now cofused as i understand that the Satus 315 is both analog and digital . My tv has a freeview fitted I tried the (Digi biox) Statalite reciver which I was using on my last van which had a dish fitted because I knew it worked, now I get nothing at all on the screen of my TV, I found the Status applifier, and switched it on it also has a second switch I have no idea what that does, but it does not seem to make any differance.

Pete

4petedaniel - 2008-09-17 9:58 AM

Thanks for the information . I am now cofused as i understand that the Satus 315 is both analog and digital . My tv has a freeview fitted I tried the (Digi biox) Statalite reciver which I was using on my last van which had a dish fitted because I knew it worked, now I get nothing at all on the screen of my TV, I found the Status applifier, and switched it on it also has a second switch I have no idea what that does, but it does not seem to make any differance.

Pete

Think you may need to explain that a bit better.

It seems to read.

1) TV has freeview tuner, connected to Status, no signal- well maybe they are not the best arial, have you got a analogue picture and how good is it?

2) Connected satellite reciever(digibox) no signal- these will only get a signal from a dish

As Colin says - you will not get a signal putting the aeriel signal through the satellite receiver.

Check that the aerial cable is routed correctly to one of the two input sockets of the white (amplifier) box. Then make sure the aerial cable to the TV is routed from the output socket of the white (amplifier) box straight to the input socket of the TV (or via an aerial wall socket if you have one mounted near the TV point) then switch on the amplifier box - the little red light should come on. The second switch on the amplifier box is a gain control and is only used if you are too near a transmitter and the picture has wavy diagonal lines - it will help to correct this.

Now tune in the TV and, even though it has a digital tuner, you should be able to pick up analogue TV signals. One common problem with all status aerial installations is that the plugs are sometimes fitted incorrectly and this is easy to rectify. Undo the aerial plug and ensure that the outer (braided) copper wire is rolled back clear of the inner (single strand) copper cable then put the plug back together - if just a single strand of the outer copper is touching the inner then you will have difficulty getting any signal.

My past experience of the omni-directional aerial is that they are extremely poor performers anyway and I agree with those that say get a replacement if you want better, trouble free, viewing. Either the newer Status 530 directional aerial or a free standing directional one that you can clamp to a pole will be better.

Regards, David

Sorry if I did not explain the situation clearly,

I have a 10" portable TV with built in Free view it has 3 settings DVD- Av & DVB-T I under stand that the DVB-T is the free view Channel but it shows it is booting then I just get a blank screen the setup of the antena I must assume is correct as the camper is 10 years old the little red light is on on the Staus white box is it possible that in my area which is Swindon that the signal is so weak that it will not work, I have a analog and a Sky TV in the house both working fine

Pete

With freeview you need to do a channel search and store and delete all previous stored channels whenever you change locations and doing this might just get you a picture.

The aerial is directional and will need to be turned to get the best picture. Trouble is you need to get a picture before you can align the aerial so it might mean a bit of aerial twidling!

Sorry Pete - my mistake - what you have it the so called 'omni directional' aerial.

It is supposed to collect an analogue signal from any direction and in either polarity without adjustment but is well known for being highly ineffective in anything other than a very strong signal area - when a half decent indoor aerial would do the same job with less aggravation - that's why they stopped fitting them!

Have you checked the aerial plug for good secure earth and signal feed contacts?

Also the connections inside the aerial itself as they have been known to get wet inside - specially if the top 'spike' goes awol?

4petedaniel - 2008-09-22 9:44 AM

How do I check the aerial plug for good secure earth and signal feed contacts? Also I have noticed that my camper does not seemed to be earthed is this normal or would checking out why not improve my

TV signal?

Pete

Campers are not 'earthed' as such as it is not deemed necessary.

Take the aerial plug off and check that the outer braiding is not touching the inner core.

The same goes for all the plugs on the booster box as well?

Can't remember without looking back but do you have the white booster box with two or three coax leads and one 12v feed going in? If so does the red light come on when you switch it on?

If there is a fixed plug you could cut it off and fit a new plug but I would get it checked by a caravan workshop before considering any kind of 'destructive' cure

Even just one fine hair strand touching the inner will ruin reception.

Check that there is no continuity between outer braid and inner core by either a multi meter or a continuity light tester or failing that a 1.5v torch bulb and single cell torch battery.

Coax cable has been known to break internally and this is difficult to trace and identify without being able to get to both ends of it.

Given your lack of knowledge and experience may I respectfully suggest that you may well be close to the point where you need to go to a caravan workshop and get them to test the aerial for you - preferably wile you watch!

this probably has nothing to do with the thread at all but , I had an aerial kind of problem.

we bought a 7inch digital tv/picture frame, looks good and fitted lovely in a small area on the wardrobe wall of our camper. lovely.

plugged it up at home to the home aerial great. made a tilting bracket super. worked great at home. and worked in the van on the drive.

bought a satellite dish cheap in a suit case jobbie, worked great on home tv, nothing on the small one? hum took it back must be faulty.

went to Norfolk, couldn't get anything at all on the small tv. replaced the booster, still nothing. replace the aerial for a small directional one that clamps to the side of the van, Nothing!

got really fed up, I like my tv fix so went and bought another tv that I saw, 10.4 inch free view set, dual tuner analogue and digital? £200.00

this picked up a channel almost every time all over Norfolk. inquired around and after, lots of dunno's i was told that the tv I was trying to use was only digital and if no digital reception then no picture and the satellite didn't work because the digital tv couldn't read the signal the satellite was sending out. if I wanted to use the satellite I could but I had to purchase a bit of kit at about £75.00.

obviously I didn't bother. as I now have a dual jobbie that works fine and a very expensive picture frame.

al

I had already checked out the continuity of the cables and there is no fault with them I had found a fault with the lead in coaxal to my Tv from the wall socket. and replaced it. I am woundering if this could have caused a fault to the signal tranformer as it was a dead short, and that is the reason I am unable to get a signal I do not know how to test the output from the transformer.

Pete

Archived