Greece Island hopping

vagabond

We are looking to spend the winter around Greece and the Greek Islands.

We have a 7.2m Hymer with a garage (hence large overhang) on the back.

Can anyone tell us what the ferries are like for getting on and off. Likewise, what are roads like on the islands for driving a medium sized motorhome.

Thanks.

B

Guest JudgeMental

Only personal experience was to cross from Patras to Crete many years ago, Patras is a hectic port and this was a conventional roll on roll of large ferry. We intended to Island hop but fell in love with Crete and stayed 3 months.

I have heard that smaller inter Island boats can be awkward to board, sometimes requiring you to reverse on etc...

My main concern would be the weather......what are you expecting during the winter in Greece?

vagabond - 2008-09-15 1:41 PM

We are looking to spend the winter around Greece and the Greek Islands.

We have a 7.2m Hymer with a garage (hence large overhang) on the back.

Can anyone tell us what the ferries are like for getting on and off. Likewise, what are roads like on the islands for driving a medium sized motorhome.

Thanks.

B

Hi Barry,

The inter island ferries can be a nightmare at times for a vehicle with a long overhang.

You will be OK in places like Rhodes, Crete and Kos but on some of the smaller islands the ferry does not dock, they hold the ferry in place with the engines and you make a mad dash to get off. The people trying to board the ferry are doing the same thing at the same time. It's usually utter chaos.

I would suggest the Peloponnese for the winter and go island hopping in the spring. The inter island ferries can work out very expensive and sometimes run at very unsociable hours.

We have visited Rhodes and Kos and plan to return home from wintering in Turkey via Crete.

There's plenty of info on Greece at http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/category/8/27/30/ but nothing on island hopping.

Don

Archived