Waste tank drainage

Guest Tracker

What do we need to do to prevent people from driving off site with their waste tank taps open?

It really is the most inconsiderate type of abuse and does our hobby no favours at all in the eyes of Joe Public.

I stopped one guy leaving Shepton yesterday and told him that his tank was 'leaking' and he told me that was because he had an electrical problems.

He got quite cross when I replied 'bo###cks' and even more irate when I said that if he considers the waste water so inoffensive to other people why does he not drain it into his own garden!

We saw someone emptying their's at Oswestry, there was I emptying mine daily with a bucket at the waste point and they just let their's run out.

I thought they might take the hint that it is not such a chore to do as I was doing, it just helps to keep the tank fresh and clean.

We have seen people drive along from sites with the tap open also, I think it is sheer laziness on their behalf, and something I do not wish to be associated with.

Kate

Stopped on a site last week that had concrete as hard-standing. Had to swill the pitch to clear all the peas and rice etc that the previous motorvan had just left for me right by my door!

I should have complained to the owner but was ashamed that a fellow motorvanner had done this.

Some campers are just pigs and don't give a sod about anyone. The state some leave showers and toilets in makes you wonder what their homes are like! 8-)

Unfortunately there will always be those that that act inconsiderately.

Having just returned to motorhoming after a gap of several years, on only the second site I visited, the guy next door emptied his black water into the grey water drain.

I was too suprised to do anything at the time, but afterwards realised that I should have at least reported it to the site owners.

I will next time, if there is one - I hope there isn't

While there can be little excuse for draining motorhome waste tanks 'indiscreetly', some motorcaravans have electrically-operated drain valves and these can be impossible to close properly if they develop a fault. Electric operation is a great idea in principle and allows the valve to be located in the most inaccessible of positions beneath the motorhome and to be opened at the touch of a button rather than getting your hands dirty. Not so good though when they go wrong.

There was a letter in one of the French motorhome magazines a few years back suggesting that electric drain valves be banned as they allowed the valve to be opened remotely while the vehicle was being driven. Presumably he'd been following a camping-car on the autoroute when the driver dumped 30 gallons of waste water on to the road through a 100mm-diameter outlet!

We are relatively new to this game (we live in the netherlands) and have recently returned from 3 (very wet) weeks in Wales.

I have seen angry comments before about dumping grey water so we were quite suprised when at least 3 of the sites visited said "drain your grey water in the hedge"

I personally dont see what the fuss is about as long as its grey water.

Herri - 2008-09-24 11:03 AM

We are relatively new to this game (we live in the netherlands) and have recently returned from 3 (very wet) weeks in Wales.

I have seen angry comments before about dumping grey water so we were quite suprised when at least 3 of the sites visited said "drain your grey water in the hedge".

If the site says it's OK to drain into the hedge then that's fine as it is the site's choice. Otherwise the proper grey drain should be used.

I personally dont see what the fuss is about as long as its grey water.

As I posted on another thread recently - can't remember if it was this or another forum - perhaps the question each of us should ask ourselves is whether we would like someone else to drain their tank (possibly containing bits of food and grease) onto our drives/gardens.

Graham

I have seen angry comments before about dumping grey water so we were quite surprised when at least 3 of the sites visited said "drain your grey water in the hedge"I personally dont see what the fuss is about as long as its grey water.

There is nowt wrong with dumping grey water discreetly where nobody will walk or drive through it's residue.

In times of drought (remember them?) we are urged to use it on the garden rather than send it down the drain.

What is wrong is giving Joe Public the impression that every motorhomer is spreading his waste all over the public roads and car parks.

If one is not prepared to drain the tank on one's own drive why should anyone else have to have it dumped near them?

PS We nearly always manage to find a car park drain or somewhere discreet where it will soak away quickly and will not leave a puddles to dump our grey water when camping off site - all it takes is a little thought and consideration for others.

Tracker - 2008-09-24 2:17 PM

PS We nearly always manage to find a car park drain or somewhere discreet where it will soak away quickly and will not leave a puddles to dump our grey water when camping off site - all it takes is a little thought and consideration for others.

Anyone using a car park (or similar) drain should first make sure what type of sewer it is connected to.

Foul sewers carry wastewater (from sinks, baths and toilets). Surface water sewers carry rainwater that runs off roofed areas, pavements, driveways and roads. Combined sewers carry both.

Many car park drains will be connected only to surface water sewers which are not meant for dealing with grey water.

Graham

Archived