Changing interior lights.

donna miller

Here's my problem / querie (?)

The interior spotlights in the Hymer are a bit dated and use 12v halogen bulbs, I wanted to change them for a trendier brushed steel single spotlight (which I bought 2 of for the bedroom at home, but never used them). The problem I've got is that the spotlights use GU10 bulbs, now I can get LED bulbs for these no problem, but they are 240 volt. I cant find anywhere to get 12v GU10s.

My immediate thought was to use a small inverter, say 75 watt, and re-wire the lighting circuit at the rear of the van, this would let me keep the GU10 LED bulbs, which run at 1-3 watts and give off no heat.

Obviously using LEDs will take less power than halogen, but will the inverter take more power from the battery to convert to 240v than it would running 12v halogens.

I know I could just go and buy 12v spots, but where's the challenge in that.

By their nature GU10 are 240 volts and ulikely you will find 12volt LED lamps to plug in.

What you could consider is changing the lampholders in the light fittings to MR16 type. It should not be difficult, as they are similarly mounted, and are readily available. You can then use 12volt MR16 type 12volt LED lamps which are common.

Just a thought,

Jon.

Archived