Provoking or just plain rude??

catinou

colin - 2008-09-20 8:35 PM

Most, if not all, trucks have limiters which would prevent them exceeding 60mph, set at 56mph, are you sure you where going 60+ or was that what the speedo read. My rule with trucks is to keep out their way, either by traveling faster than them or making sure they can safely overtake.

Anybody with a Ducato or Boxer chassis fitted with 15 inch wheels is likely to find that their speedo is over reading by a considerable margin (mine and the others tested are actually doing around 55mph when registering 60mph and doing around 64mph when registering 70mph). I have checked four now using sat nav and found this to be the case, when you change the driven wheels to 16 inch the speedo becomes almost perfect. I am firmly of the opinion that the makers fit the same speedo to both vehicles and they have not changed the speedo drive ratio to allow for the smaller wheels.

Bas

Basil - 2008-09-23 11:01 AM

colin - 2008-09-20 8:35 PM

Most, if not all, trucks have limiters which would prevent them exceeding 60mph, set at 56mph, are you sure you where going 60+ or was that what the speedo read. My rule with trucks is to keep out their way, either by traveling faster than them or making sure they can safely overtake.

Anybody with a Ducato or Boxer chassis fitted with 15 inch wheels is likely to find that their speedo is over reading by a considerable margin (mine and the others tested are actually doing around 55mph when registering 60mph and doing around 64mph when registering 70mph). I have checked four now using sat nav and found this to be the case, when you change the driven wheels to 16 inch the speedo becomes almost perfect. I am firmly of the opinion that the makers fit the same speedo to both vehicles and they have not changed the speedo drive ratio to allow for the smaller wheels.

Bas

Hi Bas,

My 2003 Ducato with the 15 inch wheels is less than 2 MPH out when I checked with my Garmin.

Don

Hi Don,

Fair enough but can only speak of the ones I've personally checked. Maybe its because yours is probably the 'facelift' model at that year, did they change to electronic speedo's on them perhaps? If so I should clarify that all the ones I have checked are pre 'facelift' models.

Bas

Re the original post I must agree with the sentiments on the notice. You must not be so sensitive! Its only writing.

In fact I might add that if you can read the notice when following the vehicle on the road you are too close!

Its tame compared to the words that sometimes go through my mind.

I have concluded that compared to motorhome driving for leisure that car driving during the morning or evening rush hour is akin to jousting! (This mornings observation after enjoying the Yorkshire moors over the week end)

Usinmyknaus - 2008-09-23 2:46 PM

catinou - 2008-09-18 9:40 PM

It was Bob !! ;-)

Not this Bob, honest! :-)

Sorry Bob - I should have used a comma after "was" - that will teach me ;-) it's scary how a tiny "mark" makes such a difference to the meaning.....

I've got to admit your reply certainly made me chuckle - obviously still chilled from our holiday! B-)

Archived