Travelling to France

JayM

Hello every one this is our first post and our first venture into motorhoming. So be be gentle on us... We have just purchased a Swift Bolero 630pr, we are very pleased at the moment after our couple of little ventures out.

What I would want to know if someone could kindly help us is, we are planning to go to France next year, is there a recommended site along the north coast (Normandy----- Brittany)? We are in Southampton and we are looking to go from Portsmouth to Cherborg or St Malo.any ideas Many thanks John and Mary

I would suggest sending for the Camping Card book from Vicarious books and the Aires France book, we went for the first time this year travelling through Holland Germany and France and we didnt book one site, Im glad we didnt because a couple that we had fancied when we arrived were far too busy so we moved on. Dont worry you will always find a site just plan your route and find sites on your way.

We have never been to Brittany and thought we might give it a try next year but a couple of people have put me off as the weather sounds as if it can be as bad as here! someone else might put you right we are just about as newto it as you, but we had six enjoyable and stress free weeks this year.

We were in Brittany and a bit of Normandy recently and yes, the weather wasn't very good, however, it was like that is most of France from what I heard, only getting better as you went into Spain, so it's not just Brittany that can have unseasonal weather. We've been before and the weather has been really good, I think it's just this year that has been particuarly bad, but it has been so in lots of places due to the jet stream being 'off track' this year.

As for sites, we only stopped at one campsite and that was only because it was the one that Carol and Charles were working at and we wanted to spend some time with them, other than that we just used aires or wild camped (yes, even our Holland experience hasn't put us off!).

Brittany is really lovely, some say it's like Cornwall/Devon, yes it is, but I think it is even more lovely and there's a lot of it to see - it is also much less congested, restrictive, and you don't get ripped off for parking!

Do not know when you are planning to go to France but if it is June then do not bother booking sites, we have traveled to France for the last 6 years and haver had a problem even in August.

Regarding weather, we went last June for 4 weeks and had rain 4 times, twice during the night, and twice when we were travelling. At that time France south of Bordeux had experienced poor weather.

But no one can guarantee good weather but the advantage of a motorhome is you can move to better weather, but only if you do not book in advance.

Two sites I can recommend .

Camping La Bohat near Sarzeau, website www.campinglabohat.com

Camping Le Ferme de Lann Hoedic, again near Sarzeau, website

www.camping-lannhoedic,fr

Le ferme de Lann Hoedic is near the coast with a ten minute walk to the beach and a choice of walks in either direction. One of our favorite sites, owners speak English, they also accept Camping Cheques.

If I can be of any further help, e-mail me.

Doug

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome to the forum!

If travelling by ferry directly to St Malo you are better staying in the western area as you are paying a premium to get there - Brittany ferries are not cheap! There are some lovely sites in south Brittany in places like Carnac and Benodet. In the north you have the pink granite coast around Perros Guirriac a very scenic area plus Mont saint Michal as well. If arriving in Cherbourg most will recommend a visit to Honfleur.......

As for weather its normally far enough south to get a little better weather then here, but this year has been miserable there as elsewhere. We went to Carnac June half term for a week it was quiet, weather was OK and we had a great break! We had many enjoyable family holidays in area when kids where young we now need guaranteed summer heat and head further south. were in Italy this year and last and it was 30-34 deg every day....

Look at Alan Rogers website for site recommendations in areas you fancy and get the Aires guide as well as other campsite guides like the Michelin one, I recommend vicarious books as well. Plus a sat nav with all the sites and Aires loaded makes life so much easier. and use this site "search" feature as well :-D

The Caravan club camp site book is very good and the Michelin guide to French camp sites is very comprehensive but doesn't give opinions as to quality.

I would recommend you try aires as well unless you really like to have camp site facilities.

We have found that lots of camp sites have bus stops nearby and staff will give you timetables and maps.

Have fun

Hi Jay&M

we are new to motorhoming got first van ever this year took the plunge and went to Brittany and Normandy after a few holidays in this country. We have never done this before so was a little nervous but to be honest nothing to worry about at all It was great.

As has been said the weather could have been better but it was warmer and not as much rain as England and when the sun shone it was lovely .

We used the Aires Book and the Caravan Club Book, but to be honest there was that much choice we could have stayed anywhere. Every one very friendly and helpful especially in Rouen when we got stuck under a tunnel!!!! but thats another story. Also as the Judge says use the POI's on the sat nav makes life much easier.

We stayed at a place called L' Abri Cotier on the north cost of Brittany (they do have web site but it wont copy and paste just google it) which was very nice and quite the owner was very helpful 10 mins from the beach and plenty of walks.

Stayed at the Aire near Mont Saint Michele fantasic veiws of the Abbey/church at night when all lit up and then at a camp site in Normandy. Sorry havent got name as just turned up and booked in

We went via Dover-Calias and used a very nice Aire just outside of Calias at Escalles as a stop off.

Any way what every you do enjoy it we cant wait for our next trip (lol)

Cheers

Archived