Protect your awning

eddie123

We have just got back from a tour of southern France during which our awning was wrecked within minutes by a short sharp burst of heavy rain. Despite a reasonable degree of incline, the awning could not shed the rain fast enough and within minutes, whilst we were inside rapidly closing all the skylights and windows, large bulges had formed supporting numerous gallons of water trapped on upper surface of the awning; seconds later, before I had time to take action the whole thing collapsed shearing one of the supporting arms and tearing the fabric in the process. My awning is 5 metres long and has a central spring loaded tensioner, water had collected on both sides of the tensioner. In future I will make sure I will set it up with a much steeper incline. If yours is shorter than mine and doesn't have the central tensioner make sure that one of your vertical suppert legs is at least a foot lower than the other. Other awnings in my vicinity survived because their owners had better drainage.

All the best Ed

Guest JudgeMental

Exactly the same thing happened to us last year in Italy although fabric did not rip.....

Our Belgian EuraMobil dealer changed the distorted front panel and repaired leg that collapased.... cost was 200 euro. Much cheaper than a new one:-D

You need to take them in, we do all the time now.... ours was at a decent incline and centre tensioner was to blame as it was responsible for water pooling on one side. I always have a decent angle even though it looks a bit odd *-)

In aug this year while in aigue-morte in 28 deg with very little cloud. A cover over a boat moved a little, then the grasses in front of us,.............. Then commotion. I managed to grab our awning, but 4 mh,s behind us there awning was demolished (They with the help of some friendly helpers took the remains off and binned it) It turned out to be a mini whirlwind. Seconds later all over and dust settled.

Archived