Wasps getting in!

everhopeful

Whenever there are wasps on a site they seem to find a way into my van. With the Hehi rooflight and all windows shut, but with the normal pop-up rooflight open with flyscreen shut, the devils still come in.

I've found some floor vents that have bigger than necessary grilles, and am thinking of adding some mesh to these, but a bigger concern is the Heki rooflight. Even when shut I can't see how it is fully sealed against bugs - but is it?. The pull-across flyscreen doesn't seal completely at the roll-up end either.

The normal pop-up rooflight looks ok but is it?

Can things come in through the cab vents (new-style Peugeot Boxer)?

Has anyone else suffered this kind of problem and maybe found a solution?

Am I being unrealistic expecting things to be sealed up?

Should I be looking at repellants instead?

Having a dog that tries hard to eat the wasps is causing me great concern as this can easily be fatal. :'(

We tend not to have many problems so long as we remember to deploy the screens.

For the odd one or two that do get in, buy one of those tennis bat zappers from the pound shop. Wasps can take a couple of zaps but they are effective.

Graham

Thanks for your responses.

I don't think I've a nest because the problem comes and goes as I move sites, but it's an important point and I'll have a good look underneath etc just in case.

The sweetshop suggestion is interesting - I'll have a good look at what is in the cupboards!

It's reassuring that no-one mentions a common problem area so I'm thinking maybe I've got an oddball situation, or maybe I've just been unlucky.

I'll double check everything and invest in a tennis bat zapper as suggested. Even if they still come in it'll hopefully get them before the dog does and make me feel better too for giving them a good hiding! :-D

You say the wasps 'come and go' so here's a thought. If your M/H was standing at home for a while in the spring when queen wasps were looking for a suitable nest, one decided on your M/H, remember they only need a small opening for one!

Lets assume there is a nest and they are active, you then drive off to a new site and 90% of the invaders are lost because they're out seeking food.

You arrive at a new site and within a short time there's wasps around, a few may have travelled with you plus a few have since hatched out so there's an increase of them, when you change site again the same happens, none at first then several.

Could be you have a travelling nest, quite unique and worth going into the Guiness B of Records?

Reading your original post again I reckon you do have a travelling nest!

Some years ago I was an assistant to a wasp catcher (in the days when we used cyanide, bought over the counter from the chemist, it looked like white lump sugar in odd shapes)

Its easy to find the source of a nest outdoors as they will fly 'straight' to it. In your instance if you have one on board just sit outside and watch if any are looking around the van for their entry point, they will be dancing all around the joints looking for a way in, and they may have many entry points.

Remember when they are inside (the nest) in the dark, any source of light will attract them to find an exit, even via the van interior. I doubt they would normaly enter your vehicle unless there was a door or window open.

Wasps are very intelligent, their mission in life is to serve their Queen. They either want food or nesting material. NOT YOU.

PS

Just had a further thought see how big they are, if they are 'very small' say half size to normal then they have just left the nest !!

feels like my whole arm is throbbing now I know what it feels like .

Thank god I am not a Box jelly Fish collector for research or something :D

Brambles to be honest I think I was a bit stunned I immediately dipped it in cold water and sucked like hell to see if I could get the sting out .

I put on me new specs and couldnt see anything untoward perhaps the blighter didnt leave one . Anyway its half 5 nd its still throbbing :'(

Oh Michele! I hope it wasn't one of my wasps!!!

I haven't found a nest yet, but will be doing more looking soon. Sitting outside watching as suggested sounds a good ploy and I'll give that a go when the b******s appear next. When they're inside there doesn't seem to be any plan as to where they go - they just seem to be everywhere at once! 8-)

Michele

If your finger is still swollen several hours later, I suggest anti histamine as it's an excessive reaction. - And try not to be stung again.

We had a wasps nest outside as big as a football before we found it. Chris went out at night with an insect spray and followed it up with some powder he had in the shedd. A few days later he repeated the treatment and all activity in the nest stopped. It was cheaper than the local council at £37!!

We also had wasps going in and out of an air brick! I went to the D.I.Y. shop and bought a spray that was foam, O.H sprayed last thing at night for two nights and we counted about two dozen dead wasps on the path every morning, it did the trick and much cheaper than the Council. I would buy some and carry it with you incase you do find the nest.

When small, my youngest brother ran home screaming, having been stung several times (we had accidentally trodden on a wasps' nest in a tree stump). Once he had stopped crying he sniffed his swollen hand and became convinced that wasp stings contain fish and chips; later he found out why - our mother had used vinegar to treat them!

One point to note, Wasps don't leave stings in and die like Bees do, each Wasp can sting you several times without it having any problems.

Like the thought of a travelling nest. Don't block the gas drop outs from the gas locker, now there's a good site for a nest. You can mesh them, but use a largish hole size mesh.

Wasps are very teritorial, if they see another wasp nest they leave the area before any inter wasp wars break out, check out "Waspinator" deterent, it only works if it's there before you get a proper wasp nest. But it will work for barbeques, awnings, gazebos etc.

We used to get them entering the air bricks in the house, and nesting under the floor. Every year at this time I go round and squirt insect powder in, no problems for the last 6 years.

:-D

Hi, we were out in the van a few weeks back and I opened the Heki, put the flyscreen across and minutes later, saw a wasp flying above, within seconds it flew above the flyscreen and then it was in the van, I ran out of the van to hubby who was outside with the dogs, I held the dogs and hubby got the wasp out. At the time we were parked under a tree and there were several wasps there, but I was quite annoyed, as my flyscreen is not doing its job!! Anyone got any suggestions to correcting this problem as I am terrified of wasps. :-(

Well, I've been under the van, inside every place I can get to and even poked around under the bonnet - not a wasp or nest in sight!

Certainly there are dozens of places a wasp could access that I will never see the other side of (I hope), so I can't be 100% sure, but at the moment I can't find a thing.

All the time I've been poking around I've not seen a single wasp so either they are not in/on the van or they are just playing games. The van has no food in it at all at the moment so maybe things will change when I next go away. That will hopefully be in a couple of weeks so maybe things will develop then.

I'm better prepared now though. I've got my fancy new tennis bat zapper, which is a great gadget, and a pile of swatters and catchers!

Regarding the Heki, I think it's a very poor design because the mesh doesn't properly seal the hole at the roll-up end. I've slightly improved mine by pulling the material to one side to centralise it in the hole, but it's still not bug-proof by a long way. Who tests these things? I can't see a way to fully seal it without a complete redesign - anyone got any ideas? :-D

Do you shut the heater air vent off on site?

We always do at night if for no other reason than a blast of cold air comes in when it's windy if you don't!

Just slide the air control to the recirculation position and that will seal off the air flow.

If the little buzzers are anywhere under the bonnet that should stop them from getting in?

Archived