Parking

JayM

Many thanks to everyone that responded to our previous thread regarding travelling to France.

Next question?????

Does anyone have any tips to add as to parking. Is it just this country that do not like us? Is France any different?

Cheers

M & J

If you mean daytime parking then most small towns and villages have spaces, often in the main square where you can park freely. Larger towns have pay machines but these are reasonable priced and usually free between mid-day and 2 o'clock and then in the evening. You can usually park easily in supermarket carparks although some in larger towns have now put height barriers up. In the south of France in the height of summer motorhomes are not very welcome by the sea but no problem further inland. They make the most of their rivers and canals but if you want to park for lunch remember they stop at 12 on the dot usually so get their early!

Not a lot to add really except to say that we have given up trying to visit markets that we can't walk or cycle to from the site where we are staying as the markets are usually held on the spot where we would normally park.

Of course, we could get there early-and it would have to be very early I suspect- and find an on street parking spot but these seem to be like gold dust for 6 metre vehicles!

Height barriers and other "anti-MH" restrictions are very rare, except in places where hospitality has been abused.

French LAW states that a MH is a car, and may park anywhere a car can, including overnight, and I've never found any rule in France against eating or sleeping (or doing anything else!) in the privacy of your van. Once you put anyhting outside (even corner steadies!) you're "camping," which may be prohibited.

So an overnight stop is acceptable almost anywhere, and no-one usually bats an eyelid at staying 2 or 3 nights if you're not causing a problem.

But obviously, if huge numbers of motorhomes descend on holiday places and stay for long periods, locals will get grumpy - so would I! - and that's where you'll find "Interdit aux Camping-cars" signs - which may or may not be strictly legal, but I'm not going to argue the toss with the Police Municipale in a place where they've already had cause to be p***ed off with us!

Tony

I have found that parking in France as a rule is not a problem. In fact unlike the UK, most towns and villages are more than happy for motorhomes to visit as this brings in additional income into the area. As already mentioned a motorhome is a car until anything is put outside - the step if free standing, and then you are camping!

Hi We have never experienced any objections to us parking, including overnight. We always try to find someone to ask, be it the tourist office, or local shop. As others have said France is very welcoming to motorhomesand welcome our spending money in the shops.

ike

Archived