NEC Show

Guest Tracker

Never having been we are contemplating a visit so can anyone advise on a couple of points please?

I see there are no dealers present at the show, only manufacturers?

Does this mean that only new vehicles are being sold, and even then only 2009 models?

Can you choose which dealer you want to supply your new van if you do decide to buy one?

Are these only 'advance order' sales meaning no test drive of the suspect prior to collection and a delay of several months whilst it is hopefully being properly made?

What happens to your p/x valuation in the meantime?

As one who likes to see it, try it, buy it, collect it in as short a space of time as possible I get an uneasy feeling about the impact of the above points on my bank balance and nerves whilst I put my trust in an industry not noted for it's high customer satisfaction?

What else do I need to consider?

Thanks.

Hi Tracker

I've been going to these shows for years ( but never bought a van there).

There used to be a lot of European campsites represented, and sometimes tourist offices which I found a useful source of inspiration for future trips, but unfortunately there's not so many these days.

There's also a lot of 'gadgets' around that you may not have seen at outdoor shows.

You may also like to consider that it's indoors, in the warm, unaffected by the weather.

Why not just have a wander round and try to resist the temptation to buy a new van.

;-) ;-) ;-)

I just looked on the web site and there are some dealers there - Lowdham Leisureworld, Glossop Caravans & Marquis are three names I recognise.

When we went two years ago Brownhills were there and I think Barrons were. Explorer Group had reps from several dealers on their stand - I remember talking to one of them.

Dunno how much it will have changed but, after being unable to visit Pickering, we're looking forward to it and a couple of days in the van at Chapel Lane.

Graham

Thanks for the kind thought Malc, but we don't use camp sites and we have plenty of ideas of where we want to go!

The thing about 'gadgets' at shows is that in my experience only one in about five of gadgets bought actually does the job well enough to become useful - and the trouble with the other four is that you don't know which is which until you get them all home!

Warm and indoors translates to hot, humid, sweaty, noisy and expensive to me - not that I want to be negative as I don't do negative - but I do do realistic and I much prefer the mud and rain of an outdoor show!

Thanks Graham, those dealer names are on the list of exhibitors on the website but do not appear in the leaflet that came with MMM today - neither do Hymer or Brownhills?

I wonder which is accurate?

Explorer are, I believe, manufacturers not dealers - not confusing it with Discover Group are you as I sometimes do?

I understand that Discover Group (Harringtons, Barrons, Mendip as was) are about to undergo some 'restructuring' - whatever that means - to reflect the 'current trading conditions in the current economic climate?

Tracker - 2008-09-24 7:11 PM

Thanks Graham, those dealer names are on the list of exhibitors on the website but do not appear in the leaflet that came with MMM today - neither do Hymer or Brownhills?

I wonder which is accurate?

Dunno I'm afraid :-D I was just going off the web site because I haven't seen any magazines

Explorer are, I believe, manufacturers not dealers - not confusing it with Discover Group are you as I sometimes do?

It was the other way about 2 years ago actually. I thought I was speaking to an employee of Explorer and it turned out he worked for a dealer :-D

I understand that Discover Group (Harringtons, Barrons, Mendip as was) are about to undergo some 'restructuring' - whatever that means - to reflect the 'current trading conditions in the current economic climate?

Doncha just love that management speak (lol)

Tracker - 2008-09-24 7:05 PM

Warm and indoors translates to hot, humid, sweaty, noisy and expensive to me - not that I want to be negative as I don't do negative - but I do do realistic and I much prefer the mud and rain of an outdoor show!

As well as the show 2 years ago we've been to the NEC a couple of times in years past for other events (on warm & sunny summer days). Can be a bit noisy but we've been pleasantly surprised that it isn't hot, humid & sweaty - you don't need a coat though.

We've taken our own sandwiches in the past and will do so again this year. Sat at a table in the CC area to eat them last time. We bought tea/coffee at one of the stands and again pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't too expensive. Other refreshments seemed not to be too costly either.

Graham

malc d - 2008-09-24 8:33 PM

Graham

You must take into account the fact that Tracker lives in Pembrokeshire, so is always looking for somewhere to go that is not " hot,humid and sweaty"

( he likes a change when he's away from home).

;-) ;-)

Having just 'enjoyed' the wettest windiest alleged summer in living memory here in Pembrokeshire I will take that one with a pinch of salt Graham!

The hottest we were all summer was in Sweden with 34 degrees C on the Baltic coast in July when it was hissing down in Pembrokeshire - by way of a change.

On the manufacterers stands you will see reps from differant companies, they should be wearing company badges, so you could choose which to collar, dealer stands have in past had secondhand vans as x250 has been out a while I guess they will be trying to get rid of the returns! I, like I guess a lot of MHers, like being outdoors, I can just about stand it, but last one we went outside for lunch in 'courtyard' it was full of puffing billy's, air quality was down on what was inside! 12 months ago food went right downhill, it's always expensive (I go to several shows a year at NEC) but having poor quality food dished up on a 'prison' tray and paying a high price was very disapointing, but who knows if they have changed catering companies again? sandwichs again for me.

Tracker - 2008-09-24 8:55 PM

malc d - 2008-09-24 8:33 PM

Graham

You must take into account the fact that Tracker lives in Pembrokeshire, so is always looking for somewhere to go that is not " hot,humid and sweaty"

( he likes a change when he's away from home).

;-) ;-)

Having just 'enjoyed' the wettest windiest alleged summer in living memory here in Pembrokeshire I will take that one with a pinch of salt Graham!

The hottest we were all summer was in Sweden with 34 degrees C on the Baltic coast in July when it was hissing down in Pembrokeshire - by way of a change.

This does, of course, assume that anyone "lives" in Pembrokeshire >:-)

Sorry, only joking (lol)

The main thing we are looking forward to is that we will be away in the van for a few days having (through various circumstances) not been able to manage it since August bank holiday.

On top of that we may well see some gadgets to waste our money on - plus there's bound to be at least a few sales spiels to laugh at >:-)

Graham

Tracker - 2008-09-24 6:43 PM

Never having been we are contemplating a visit so can anyone advise on a couple of points please?

I see there are no dealers present at the show, only manufacturers?

Does this mean that only new vehicles are being sold, and even then only 2009 models?

Can you choose which dealer you want to supply your new van if you do decide to buy one?

Are these only 'advance order' sales meaning no test drive of the suspect prior to collection and a delay of several months whilst it is hopefully being properly made?

What happens to your p/x valuation in the meantime?

As one who likes to see it, try it, buy it, collect it in as short a space of time as possible I get an uneasy feeling about the impact of the above points on my bank balance and nerves whilst I put my trust in an industry not noted for it's high customer satisfaction?

What else do I need to consider?

Thanks.

Tracker a lot of dealers have stands usually associated with a manufacturer. I ordered my new Swift at the show from Spinney Motorhomes last year. However they knew my old vehicle and we agreed a deal at the time. I did not want delivery until 1st April this year, to get an 08 reg. so I agreed to let them have my m/h at the end of December, I was away skiing for most of the winter so would not be using it anyway and it would be layed up for the winter. We signed an agreement that the vehicle or its sale price remained mine until I took delivery of the new van and I got a guaranted deal price which they upheld and met delivery as agreed. This worked well as I did not have to look after it during the winter months and they sold the van before I took delivery of new one.

At last I can agree with fred aven though thar accent takes some understanding. If you let your van go before the handover day of your new van then you are taking aq very big financial risk. Did it myself once with a car and was lucky by 2 weeks. Got my new car then the firm went bust (It was a main Ford dealer, so not some back street setup)

Good luck but be wary.

Mike

fred grant - 2008-09-25 7:43 PM

...and denzil says u would ave lost the lot if theyd ad gone bust me ansum!

f

Not at all Fred, read post properly. It was tied up with a legal agreement. If the company went out of business and van still in their stock it remained my property not part of business assets. If it was sold money goes into a bonded customer account. It is easy to set up just needs co-operation from the supplier. It is also a great time to do business as not much about around this time so they are keen.

Decision made.

We're not going to the NEC.

Too many factors against buying a new van of any sort from a distant dealer with too many problems with new vans in general - and Sevel in particular. -

Motorhoming is supposed to be a leisure thing and I think we will stick with a used van on either the previous well tried and tested Sevel chassis - or maybe something else?

Meanwhile blood pressure and bank balance remain undisturbed.

Archived