Tap connector

Mel B

Hi guys

Whilst in France we came across some of those horrible taps on aires where there is no way to fasten a hose pipe to. We've therefore been on the lookout for a connector to use on them ... the type with a jubilee clip on them to secure to the tap and save getting a shower whilst filling the tank. The problem was all we could find was the standard size bore one for use on a normal tap such as you have at home, not one with a big enough bore for the oversized taps. But look no further!!!! We found one!!!!!

It was £2.99 for Wilkinsons (Wilko).

Interesting that...

I've occasionally encountered French taps with larger-than-normal-diameter threaded outlets that require an non-standard adapter to attach a hose and for which an ordinary 'jubilee-clip'-type fitting is too small, but I've yet to meet a wide-diameter unthreaded one that would demand a jubilee-clip adapter. I've also come across taps with smaller-than-normal threaded outlets. Nowadays I carry a variety of tap-adapters, but I haven't needed to use one for ages.

The oval push-button taps are, of course, deliberately intended to minimise water usage and prevent a hose being employed. Jubilee-clip adapters can sometimes work, combined with cable-ties to hold them on to the tap, but you have to be a bit perverse to resort to this ploy (and you'll probably get soaked into the bargain if there's any sort of reasonable water pressure). The Thinking Camping-Cariste will usually get out his/her trusty watering-can in such situations.

Derek Uzzell - 2008-09-25 9:05 AM

The oval push-button taps are, of course, deliberately intended to minimise water usage and prevent a hose being employed. Jubilee-clip adapters can sometimes work, combined with cable-ties to hold them on to the tap, but you have to be a bit perverse to resort to this ploy (and you'll probably get soaked into the bargain if there's any sort of reasonable water pressure). The Thinking Camping-Cariste will usually get out his/her trusty watering-can in such situations.

Derek, you have no idea of the lengths I have gone to to extract water from the oval push button efforts.

Perverse is the word I would use too, but the pleasure I get from the Missus, (so to speak), at being able to use our own shower is well worth the, soakings/stares/comments...

I might add that I have never been beaten by one of the b****y things.

Martyn

colin - 2008-09-24 9:29 PM

Maybe you could buy something for 'finger trouble' ;-)

I've worked out what you are on about now Colin! I didn't realise it had posted twice on the forum, I got a 'server error' when I tried to submit it the first time so did it again .... better safe than sorry .... :D

In my box of "Just in case" bits & pieces, I have a gadget bought at RANGE if you have one, that will fit a hose to any odd shaped tap. A flat base plate with large rubber sheet with hole in centre to feed the hose coupling, and a saddle that hinges over any tap, or "L" shaped pipe, C/W a screw down clamp to hold it all together. sorry not very well described but if you see one it will be obvious what it is for, as it is with other hose pipe equipment...........I would put in a photo but I'm notvery good at that sort of thing..........

Archived