Taking a M/H to Orkney and Shetland

libby

Right where was I before being interupted.

I took ferry Thurso to Stromness which is renound for being a rough crossing, but wasn't for me(gf flew wick to kirkwall, she's not a good sailor), we only drove around mainland, burray and sth. ronaldsay, don't recall any difficulties, took passenger ferries to hoy and rousay. We stayed at site in Stomness as it's right next to sea and I could windsurf from the site.

libby - 2008-09-25 6:58 PM

I know the ferry costs will be high but has anyone been and done it?

I assume some roads may be pretty narrow.

I'm planning for mid-summer 2009

Not been to Shetland but went to Orkney in August. Took ferry from Gills Bay to St. Margarets Hope on South Ronaldsay it was £103 return, sea like a mill pond both ways. The ferry was interesting not being a roll on roll off, had to turn round on the ferry deck once and reverse on once. We had booked a campsite at Point of Ness at Stromness but even in August no need to book. We took ferry over to Hoy, and walked round to the old Man, this ferry for passengers is £7 return, half price for over 60's. Roads on Mainland and the connecting islands are all good, very few are single track and would be easy even with large m/h but do not try to drive through Stromness main street. Roads on Hoy are all single track like most of the North Coast of Scotland but again not a problem passing places every couple of hundred yards. We will certainly go back, as we only had four days their, to visit more of the islands.

Just add a little more detail. We took the ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick, with a cabin for both directions it was around £550 for the overnight crossing.

Plenty of places to wild camp, esp on Unst and Yell (don't stay on the offical campsite on Unst, can't think of a worse place to stay!).

Always seek out the heritage/visitor centres on the islands, wealth of knowledge and often knwo the best places to see wildlife and wild camp.

The usual rule in Scotland applies, ask before to pitch.

I shouldn't share 'cos you'll all be there, Northwick Bay, Unst, just go and camp.

Oh and park in the car park at the top of Lerwick, much cheaper than the carpark on the Quay.

Oh and we did Orkney, but not in a 'van, for our honeymoon about 4 years ago. You must visit the lighthouse on North Ronaldsay, a tour you'll never forget...

Archived