kingsize bed

chris squires

chris squires - 2008-09-27 10:42 AM

I`m 6`3" - can anyone recommend a motorhome with a suitable bed ?

My budget is up to 30k.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

For tall people like us (I'm 6'2"), the best bet is to go for a fixed bed that goes across the rear of the motorhome.

Our bed is 2.2m long and goes over the garage. That's about 8" longer that the kingsize at home!!

hi chris

we have a hymer694g with a fixed bed across the back over a garage

problems are

1) getting up in the night...climbing over partner...lots of earache !!!

2) the height of the bed ....most of this type of layout make the most of

the garage height, so there isn't a lot of space between bed & ceiling

it can be quite claustrophobic

3) if you like your bed to have fitted sheet/duvet it can be a pain to make

up

4) check how many pieces the mattress is in....too many joins can become

uncomfortable over time

5 ) takes up a fair bit of the van length.....some people see it as a waste

of the space...would depend on size of van

advantages are

1) great for the giants among us ...

2) bed always made up...

lots of compromises to be made when choosing a m/home but in our opinion a decent , comfy bed that is ready and waiting is a better option than assembling a bed every night and as our van is over 7m we still have a decent size area for lounging /dining

in a smaller van it may impact quite a lot on the rest of the available space

good luck

berti

Hi Chris Our van is a Pilote Galaxy 50G, 6.8metres long, with a large bed over a huge garage. The bed is accessed via a 3 step ladder and there is plenty of space between bed and roof. It is a pain climbing over hubby in the middle of the night but having a ready made bed is an essential as far as I'm concerned. I can go off to bed whilst hubby sits in the lounge reading or watching a movie. The mattress is a one piece affair, very comfy. We previously had a Hymer 694 with a huge fixed bed, mattress in two pieces, it was like having two single beds side by side. It was easier to clamber into than our current van bed as the garage was smaller/lower. Hope you find something to suit you.

ike 

Guest JudgeMental

My EuraMobil 660 HB is similar to recommendations above. It has 2 permanent king size beds. One across the back above a huge garage. Neither bed interfere with cooking or lounging arrangements. It is also fully winterised with a double floor and is only 6.6 metres long

http://www.euramobil.de/_produkte_gb_2009/profila_alkoven_start.html

Most modern coachbuilt vans, and some panel van conversions, that have a transverse bed give a bed length over 2 metres because vans these days are wider than in days gone by.

A lot depends how much longer than 2 metres you need, but you could perhaps start by looking at the Autosleepers, Autocruise, Autotrail and Swift group websites to get an idea of layouts and bed sizes?

Bazza454 - 2008-09-28 8:36 PM
Tracker - 2008-09-28 7:11 PM Most modern coachbuilt vans, and some panel van conversions, that have a transverse bed give a bed length over 2 metres because vans these days are wider than in days gone by.

Typical - just married and all you can think about is bed...

It's not all I CAN think about - but I really don't want to lose the moment by confusing my ageing mind with anything else right now! Being a man I am unable to multi task - or so I am reliably informed by my blonde wife - whose idea of navigation is a contradiction in terms of the same magnitude as the expression 'government intelligence'!!

Chris:

There are plenty of modern motorhomes with large beds. As has already been suggested, these beds will usually be transverse, rear or above-cab located or even, as in Judgemental's Eura Mobil, at both ends of the vehicle.

Permanent transverse rear-mounted beds will normally (perhaps always) be high-mounted above a 'garage'. Consequently, if you wanted to identify current rear-bedded motorhomes likely to meet your size requirement, you could start by browsing through MMM's Buyers' Guide towards the back of the magazine and look for models that are a) wide (at least 2.3metres), b) have a permanent double bed ("DP" in Beds column) and c) have a garage ("G" in MMM Layout column).

This assumes you have a brand-new motorhome in mind, in which case your £30K budget may well prove restrictive. 'Entry-level' motorhomes need to be checked for entry-level beds: there's little point having lots of bed area if the mattress itself is poor quality and sits directly on a solid plywood base.

The rear lounge / bedroom of our Autotrail Scout is amply long enough with quite a bit of spare for my 6'2 frame. We actually have a king size mattress in this position permanently and this left a gap along the side 6" wide for which I made a cupboard and a gap along the end 4" wide in which I can dangle my toes should I wish!

Archived