Thetford Manual Flush

naittaw

Something in the manual toilet flush mechanism on my 2003 Ravenna has given way. It now feels like the old fashioned bicycle pump when the washer has detached itself from the end of the rod/pump handle. Can anyone advise as to the Thetford mechanism ? Is DIY repair likely ? Some advice before I rush in would be much appreciated.

The following link will take you to the spare parts section of Thetford's website. This provides exploded views of the various models of toilets (though the manual-flush C-200 doesn't seem to be specifically covered) and one can also download installation/operating manuals:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/PermanentToilets/tabid/331/Default.aspx

I've no practical experience of pulling one of these things apart, but, as it's a simple manual-flush model, I would guess it should be fairly straightforward to DIY fix the present fault.

Just in case it might be of use to a.n.other. I have now been inside the flush tank and found that at the bottom of the stem that houses the works there is a plastic end piece that should be held on by 3 integral plastic clips that depend on their own flexibility to hold the cap in place. Two of these had broken - goodness knows how or why. Fortunately I also found small slots in the plastic both at the bottom of the main tube and on the cap. A small plastic tie tightened through the holes seems to be doing the job. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also found, and this really relates to another current thread, that the cosmetic lid on the flush tank, held by 2 screws under the flush handle, is sealed with the usual sealant to prevent spillage from the tank back into the van.

Glad you fixed the fault Naittaw, I can't remember exactly what had fallen apart in mine as it was a few years ago now, three 'vans ago actually. I just thought something similar might have happened to yours. I don't think I came to a conclusion as to why it happened but like you I got it back together and it is still working now. My Daughter has the van now so I know it all stayed together in the end, so heres hoping yours does likewise. Cheers for now.....David..

Archived