Road angel plus speed camera alert unit

tezza

Does anyone use or have previous experience of using one of the above units, I am thinking of getting one but the instructions say the unit must connect with three satellites to work properly. I am wondering what effect the luton will have, will it still be able to see the satelliets or not.

My van is an Ace napoli 2006, so quite a big bump on the front.

Any related info would be most welcome.

tezza - 2008-09-28 4:48 PM

Does anyone use or have previous experience of using one of the above units, I am thinking of getting one but the instructions say the unit must connect with three satellites to work properly. I am wondering what effect the luton will have, will it still be able to see the satelliets or not.

My van is an Ace napoli 2006, so quite a big bump on the front.

Any related info would be most welcome.

I had a Garmin under a large cab overhang and it worked fine.

Yes thanks Margaret, read up on ther web site yesterday before buying one, quite an interesting site I thought, Also interesting to know that you can down load a software update to disable certain bits of the unit.

I can't get her in doors to cross the water yet so i'll be OK for now.

ALL SatNavs require at least 4 satellites to give a reliable postion and RoadAngel is no different from any of the others. If the Luton is GRP or aluminium clad, you should not have a problem, but, if in doubt, try before you buy.

As to legality in France, why not buy the slightly more expensive Road Angel 9000 SatNav which, as well as being a fully fledged SatNav system, has a speed camera database and does not use radar sensoring but GPS position. The really neat thing about this unit is that it updates the database automatically, day in, day out, without connecting it to a computer and without manual intervention, because it has a permanently connected built-in GPRS link. Current cost is £229.

Incidentally, shops in France sell radar camera detectors quite openly.

Mel E

====

djchapple - 2008-10-06 4:56 PM

I think I have read somewhere that these devices are illegal in many European Countries and just switching them off is no good, you must not have one installed.

can anyone clarify my perhaps muddled thinking?

Detectors are illegal in most however a camera database is ok in some and those that it is not, you can just have it switched off. Lot of differant rules in Europe, always best to check individual countries.

I can't say I agree with the Luton having no effect. I was seriously frustrated by the time-lag on my Garmin units in places where I needed them to be at their best ... major towns with serious buildings and wilder places with forests, mountains, for example. An external aerial mounted on the roof of the Luton transformed performance! QED?

Archived