Suitable tow car

AndrewJo

:-> We tow our Fiesta (but have had several other small cars) on Brian James Twin wheel trailer, no bother at all and all legal, the extra cost for fuel and ferry crossing isnt vast. its very steady on the road unlike the single wheel trailers, and gives you loads of freedom when you set up for longer stay. ;-)

• 7 months later...
hymer1942 - 2009-06-07 8:01 PM

Hi All, could I tow an automatic on an a frame [ Yaris or similar ]

You cannot tow an automatic without damaging the gearbox.

An automatic must be moved with it's driven wheels off the road!

hi Dave

I have a Elegance 681 and bought a Brian James trailer rather than an A-Frame. Taking the van to the weighbridge after much assuming (which is never right) so needing to know the actual weight, showed i was under all limits. Total weight allowed 5200kgs

Total weight shown 4840kgs

Rear axle was 2090kgs and i am allowed 2300kgs. The only items i had to add in were 150kgs for 2 people and water which weighs 1kg per litre other than that everything else was onboard, so hope fully i will be ok. The car i have to put on the trailer is a matiz which only weighs 770kgs

Alan

hymer1942 - 2009-06-07 8:01 PM

Hi All, could I tow an automatic on an a frame [ Yaris or similar ]

That would depend on what type of auto it is, a traditional 'slushbox' would normaly be damaged, a robotised manual should be ok but check with manufacturer, variomatic? no idea once again check with manufacturers.

Archived