Annual mileage of the retired

Brock

I know this question is like how long is a piece of string but I would like to read the experiences of retired people on their annual mileage and what benefit they gain from doing so much, or so little, mileage. Any responses will give me a feel for what is in store.

I am toying with taking early retirement (I'm 54). I'm pretty good at budgeting so I can work out the cost of living, and motorhoming to a great extent. My current mileage is 6,000 per annum but I'm wondering whether the joy of the open road will change this. I have a worry that with all this free time I will just drive and drive until I run out of money.

A whole new world seems to open up to motorhomers who have retired. My current work commitments seriously dent my chances of fully enjoying my van and are not a good guide to the future.

Brock - 2008-09-29 7:16 PM

I know this question is like how long is a piece of string but I would like to read the experiences of retired people on their annual mileage and what benefit they gain from doing so much, or so little, mileage. Any responses will give me a feel for what is in store.

I am toying with taking early retirement (I'm 54). I'm pretty good at budgeting so I can work out the cost of living, and motorhoming to a great extent. My current mileage is 6,000 per annum but I'm wondering whether the joy of the open road will change this. I have a worry that with all this free time I will just drive and drive until I run out of money.

A whole new world seems to open up to motorhomers who have retired. My current work commitments seriously dent my chances of fully enjoying my van and are not a good guide to the future.

As you say, how long is a piece of string. My mileage has not changed much except now do a lot of it in the motorhome. I have always done around 12000-15000 a year, this year will have done around 9000 in the motorhome, 7000 so far with another Europeon trip coming up, and probably around 5000 in the car.

We've never done more than 25,000 miles in a year since being retired but we have two cars and a motorhome and were born to wander and explore.

Apart from that - it all depends?

On the depth of your pockets!

On the quality of your health?

On whether you enjoy just driving - or not?

On the type of holiday you prefer - nomadic meandering or sat on site?

On the type of weather you like - hot or hotter or cool or cooler?

On where you want to go - The Nordkapp is a bit further than Calais!

Probably nobody sets out to do a set mileage each year but it does sorta mount up - some years more than others.

And then there are other holidays by air sea or rail to add in as well?

We don't budget - we just do it - and if our income don't cover it - then our capital makes up the shortfall!

our experience is to go for it wile you can. you don't no whats round the corner.  you will find that when you re tier you wont have a minuet to your self wile at home.  going away more yes it  getts you away from children and there can you help ect ect..  as for mileage well our new van march 08 with six weeks of road at dealers as 7600 on clock just in uk touring not full time . expect to have 12000 on by next year. go for it wile you have the health and money

Every ones experiences will be different so I doubt if you can establish an " average mileage ".

The main benefit I found was the fact that instead of dashing off to the south of France ( or elsewhere ) and dashing back again inside two or three weeks, we can now go for as long as we like.

So, in that example, mileage has not necessarily increased but enjoyment of the trip certainly has, as we have the time to explore so many more places on the way.

:-|

braunston - 2008-09-29 8:03 PM

Hi,

On the same theme do people think that mileage bears any relationship to making the choice between a caravan or a motorhome, and if they do, at what sort of mileage would you think the decision should be made ?

No relationship whatsoever in my view.

To tow or not to tow is, as ever was, still the big question!

The choice of type of camping unit is down to which style you prefer and which sort best suits your style of holiday.

Many folk do just as many miles with a towed caravan, and more in some cases, as others do with a motorhome.

By its very nature of Motorhoming don't think mileage can be quantified, the pleasure is just up and going when you feel like it, and if you have a second vehicle, it will keep motorhome milage down but the car will still take fuel. If you are nomadic like me I like to stay a few days at one place look around then move on, last year between Morocco/Spain/France in 3 months stayed at 32 different sites other Motorhomers just like to go to one destination then back so don't travel the miles. Just go where you want when you want while health & finance permit. Carol.

Just a Newbie at Motorhoming [?] having only owned my Carioca 656 for 4 weeks..but hoping to do many miles this coming year..health being sound?.

Retired and a Pensioner for the last four years my annual Mileage is around 70,000?.Might sound a reasonable mileage but I love Australia and like to go about twice per year..pension permitting?

This coming year I intend to go to Ozz,hire Motorvan and tour fom Sydney to Cairns.No problems cos I have done it by Car.2 hours on the main Highway and not seeing another vehicle..wow.every turn off leading to deserted beaches.Golden sands,Ice cold beer.The barrier reef?the wife went down and walked on the seabed with the boots an helmet..i got it wrong..not enough lead in her boots..she surfaced!Mileage to us grumpy old gits is nothing..i bet we travel better than than youngsters?and we are more mobile.

Having just bought yourself a mobile shed do you really want to go adding up mile after mile, its OK for a while but 20 miles down the road in your mobile accomodation is just the same as 20,000.

Depends what one looks for, a tree is a tree, and a beach is a beach, in Australia the gum trees dammed well are the same 5,000 miles apart and the beaches are simply a different shade of white. Niagara Falls is a wonderfull place but you comment "Yes its just like the postcards"

After doing a lot of it over the years, 10 miles down the road is getting to be my limit. Its the age you know. At 54 I can give you nearly 30 on top of that!

Annual mileage is around 3,300 and that's going somewhere each fortnight. And when you do go make sure you start a log book.

Can't say I agree with Libby about the 20 miles is the same as 20,000. Had to smile though about the Niagara Falls and the postcard. It reminded me of a friend of ours who went to Acapulco and when asked if he went to see the cliff divers replied No but I have seen them on the films.

Anyway back to the milage I think we do about 10,000 a year but I think you will find many will average less and some much more. Someone said that instead of racing about when you retire you can do the same distance but spend longer and enjoy things more.

We have just traded our motorhome and the dealer said that the average miles for a ten year old van was 60,000. I know that is only dealer talk so they can offer a lower price.

Anyway go for it, as you know we are here only once.

Have fun Sooty

When it comes down to it, the main advantage of retirement is all the free time you have.

You may or may not increase your mileage, the main thing is you can spend a lot longer in places you like, whether that's 10 miles or 10,000 miles down the road.

The big advantage that Brock has is retiring at such an early age, so, circumstances permitting, he can enjoy himself for at least the next 30 years !

( I'm just jealous).

;-) ;-)

I was forced into retirment at 47, what i didn't realise was, how much cheaper things can be during mid week day time, for example; carvery's in the midlands for £3.50p a third off in harvesters, cheaper camp sites.

We don't tend to travel as far as we used to, maybe the marchers or cotswolds.

Seems we have time to discover whats on the doorstep, much better to go to the nc midweek, some offers on tickets and more chances to find a seat.

orange wednesdays at the cinema, (two for the price of one) and if you go early enough, maybe only three couples watching the film.

pete

If the thought of all the travel you might do if you take early retirement really worries you, sat at work!  Then, you van sit safely at work worrying about all the places you might be visiting instead!  :-)  After all, you chose the dstinations, and you do the driving, so the van will only go where you point it.

Brock

Hope this helps, we retired in 2003 and live in Mansfield. Our annual motorhome mileage is around 6-7000 per year including Great Britain, France every year and Italy. Our car mileage is 5-6000 a year. Nights away in the van average 116 each year. We stay at home in the winter with short trips and January, February and December average 3 nights a month away. March, April, October and November average 8 nights a month away and the other months about 15 nights away.

Archived