WiFi connecton problems

parkmoy

i'm in Spain at the moment and connected via my laptop for the first time. It is an unsecured network which allows you to connect and when you open the browser comes up as a 'hotspot' and requests user name and password. Connection is then trouble free.

I've tried numerous campsite 'security enabled' networks over the past 3 weeks all over Spain without success. I was able to connect to the campsite network with 'limited connectivity' when I entered the password but was unable to get internet access.

Can anyone advise please? It seems like it might be a settings problem but I tried everything I could think of without success.

I think I'm right in saying that if the site is security enabled then you will need the relevant password or key from the site operator, probably at a cost. This may already be obvious, if so I apologise ! The fact that you are within range of a signal does not mean that you can necessarily freely use it.

I assume you have tried the more obvious like moving nearer to where the signal is? I have experienced similar problems with IE7 but then tried Firefox and got on straight away. It was something in the settings of IE7 that caused the problem. My son fixed it for me but as is usual he kept his dark art secrets to himself!!!!

David

I've had similar experiences on Spanish campsites. The reception will gladly sell you the password (relatively cheaply in comparison to some sites in UK) but when you come to log on you find that you cannot do so. The campsite will (normally) swear blind that there is nothing wrong with the connection and the problem lies in your computer! In fact, the problem lies with the Spanish telephone system, which has difficulty with broadband in many places.

Last winter the site I was at on the Costa de Lux admitted that this was the case and offered a free connection but with no guarantee of me being able to connect. In fact, the connection was almost perfect for the three weeks I was there. The other sites would not admit to a problem and would not refund the, admittedly small, fee they had charged for the password.

Back home now but had the same problem with a security enabled network at a pub in Wales on the way. Again entered the password only to get the 'limited connectivity' problem again. Barmaid said some people have trouble connecting but most don't.

So, it's not just Spain.

Hi,

I have to concur with "peter42" albeit it does happen in France and at Wetherspoons and McDonald's in the UK, quite often the people who are your direct contact either don't really know if the system is actually working or not as in the vast majority of cases they haven't used themselves. I would suspect that the problem is more likely to be with the supplier of the wifi than with your laptop.

i also had trouble when Charles and I were in Brittany this summer. I paid my money, got my card and password. No problem getting onto the wireless network, but had no connectivity or very little to the internet and was constantly disconnected - hmmm - very frustrating it was!

so I changed the settings on internet explorer and it worked. in properties, under the security tab - Internet zone I set to the lowest point on the slider which gave me medium protection, trusted sites to medium low. then I had no problem, I can't be certain that changing my settings allowed me better internet access, but from then on I had no trouble except when I was a bit too far away from the access point.

You need expert help in setting up your computer.

I had the same problems early this year. When I came home) I sought advice on a computer forum (Google deviant for one!) and got a reply that was very helpful.

Unfortunately I cannot find the info not the posting.

On campsites where the signal is weak and my PCMCIA Card loses connection frequently I use a Hawking HWU 8DD USB Dish. This just needs to be pointed at the signal source and I get a signal which is strong enough to stay locked on.

I'm using it at the moment and receiving the signal from Reception about 100 yards away. It is supposed to be usable up to 800 yards but that would only be if nothing was in the way blocking the signal. My line of sight at the moment has 3 motorhomes in between.

Phil.

Archived