Aires on a Tomtom

Andy T

Does anyone know if a Tomtom can cope with two different downloads of Aires from different websites, including one with a file suffix ".int" without throwing a fit?

My new 730 needs a reset every time I update it, so I don't want to upset the machine further.

Andy.

Andy, you can download any POIs from any web site so I'm not quite sure what you mean?

Obviously, the POI names will need to be different otherwise one will overwrite the other.

Not sure about the .INT file but I don't think you'll need it as all a TomTom needs is a BMP and a OV2 to display the POIs.

The maximum number of POIs you can show is about 100 so download away matey :-)

W2G

Thanks for the reply W2G.

I mean (at least, I think I mean) two downloads of Aires from two different websites; that is two files containing differing lists of aires (but probably with some identical names).

If both files (with differing file names) are both loaded into the "map" file of the TomTom, will the TomTom read them both, and display them both, without any more jiggery pokery?

I suspect the answer is yes, from what you have already said but would like to be sure as the TomTom seems in some ways a temperamental device as any update seems to need a soft reset.

Andy.

Yes it will show both sets although if the Lat/Long are identical you may only see one as the other may be underneath it.

I'd be inclined to make sure the .BMP files for each one is different otherwise it might be confusing.

What problems are you experiencing with your updates (is this software updates or mapshare updates?)?  It shouldn't need to have a soft reset done.

W2G

After getting lost on several occasions last week in French cities and rural by-roads I have decided that a sat-nav is essential for my peace of mind (and flak from my wife!) when travelling on the continent. There seems to be quite a choice and I would be grateful for any recommendations for an inexpensive basic but good quality instrument for Europe (maps and my local knowledge are perfectly adequate for this country).

W2G,

The first update was mapshare as the loaded map was 52 weeks out of date. That generated a problem that was sorted by a long set of instructions from TomTom customer care and involved deleting files and whatever. I think a previous post relating to TomTom had a link to this instruction.

The latest update was the loading of a file of POIs for Aires in france. The TomTom wouldn't restart after this and I had to reset it as per a section of the instructions that came with the TT.

I will try John N's advice and leave it to stew for 5 mins after the next update.

Andy.

John.N - 2008-10-03 9:08 AM

After getting lost on several occasions last week in French cities and rural by-roads I have decided that a sat-nav is essential for my peace of mind (and flak from my wife!) when travelling on the continent. There seems to be quite a choice and I would be grateful for any recommendations for an inexpensive basic but good quality instrument for Europe (maps and my local knowledge are perfectly adequate for this country).

John,

I find the Basic Tom-Tom with the Europe map quite good, but on any Sat-nav i think the ease of downloading POI's (points of interest) is key. And the Tom-tom is particularly easy. The POI's add anything ,from the nearest Cash Machine,to where low bridges under 10' are located(very useful) and as this thread says where Aires are located, Now all I want is someone to make a POI of narrow lanes EVERYWHERE (a tall order !!) Good luck.

:D :D

After reading some of the above i should add, buy the latest Tom-Tom, make sure that you update your map regularly online(free), update your supplied tom-tom PC software from the Tom-tom website regularly too(free). They also have a huge range of POI's on their website that are simplicity itself to download (mainly free) and a tip DON'T download the Safety(speed) Camera locations(a charge) if you intend to travel outside the UK, even Ireland now, says that knowing where their cameras are, is Illegal ?? they can confiscate your Sat-Nav if you have that information on it !!!! and it is the same in most of Europe. I knew that laser-detectors were illegal, but not 'Camera POI's ' on Sat-Navs!!!. a bit 'over the top'

I think, after all once you've 'Seen' a speed camera you know where it is don't you ! The 'Thought Police' are next ?? :D :D

Many thanks for your advice Rayjsj. When sailing I used a Garmin which was very good and I was inclined towards that as I thought that the the Tom-tom hardware might not be of comparable quality. However, if you are satisfied with yours it's alright for me. I see that Curry's are currently offering a Tomtom model ONE WE CLASSIC which has GB, Ireland, and Western Europe mapping. The price of £109.99 seems very attractive so I think I'll go for it

I have to say that I only use TomTom HOME to keep the mapshare up to date and install the weekly QuickGPSfix software.  I rarely get a software update but when I do I always backup before applying it.

I always install POIs the old fashioned way of copy and paste from my PC and would never use HOME.

Archived