wieght in luton

David

what is the safe wieght we can carry in the luton as we store two fold up bikes there (35 kilos .vehicle is a rear door entry autocruise vista hence no bike rack

David - Three things cross my mind regarding your question. Is your luton structurally strong enough? If it's one that you can sleep in then it should be OK. If not I would contact the maker regarding this. Will your front axle be able to accomodate the weight within it's axle loading allowance? A trip to a weighbridge perhaps? Will the extra weight make the van too top heavy? This will depend on what else you are carrying on high and how it drives, handling wise. Only you can determine this. If all the above pass the test then you should not have any problems. Have fun Ron

David No rear rack due to a rear door? If your heart desires a rear rack made for a rear door coachbuilt email me on nealbarb1@supanet.com Regards Neal

Guest Derek Uzzell
David: There was a letter in a recent issue of "Le Monde du Camping-car" that asked something similar. The writer said he and his wife slept in the luton and, as he weighed 148kg and his wife about 70kg, he would like to know the maximum weight supportable by an over-cab bed. He believed this datum could be vital for many motorcaravanners and asked for the information to be included in future test reports. The reply expressed surprise at the question, saying that nowadays motorhomes with cutaway cab-roofs had the luton bed supported by the cab's upper mounting points. Admittedly this left the front part overhanging and, to minimise any risks, it was suggested that his wife sleep in that area. Presumably your Vista is the over-cab bed version rather than the low profile variant (otherwise I don't think there would be room for the bikes). If this is so and, as you are already carrying your bikes in the luton with no ill effects apparent, I don't think you should be concerned about their 35kg weight. Obviously you'd want to ensure they are well padded so they can't move around or fall out during abrupt driving manoeuvres, but I'm certain you already guard against such things.

Archived